Help with gearing 1150/Kat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with gearing 1150/Kat

I've done the 530 conversion some years ago and trusted the shop sold me the right conversion from 630. The 530 sprockets they sold me were 15/42. I bought some Kat parts recently from Katman, and he said my rear sprocket looked small. I'd been riding that setup for some time and just assumed it was a stock conversion. The shop looked at a Parts Unlimited conversion chart and that's what they sold me. It felt a little tall in 2nd gear hairpins, but otherwise felt pretty good.

When my chain expired on the way to Michigan from Washington, I had the same shop order me the 530 conversion. This time, however, I received a 15/45 combo, and now the bike runs at a higher rpm at 70+. It seems to pull harder at low rpms, but I'd prefer lower rpms at sustained higher speeds.

Any chance I could change the front sprocket to something else to solve this? Front sprockets are relatively cheap and I have enough adjustment, I think, to remove the front sprocket, without pulling apart the master link. Thanks for any gearing enlightenment.

The frame is 83 Katana, the engine is 84 1150, bored to 1229
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

My 530 conversion worked out to be a 17/49 setup. I ordered three front sprockets, a 16,17,18 and I am able to switch between them and not run into chain length problems. I am running 16/49 now for more jump around town.

Comment

I did my conversion at Z1:
      Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Their guide is very useful

Comment

Carter, I'm surprised you got a 15 tooth 530 sprocket to clear the swingarm!!! Go smaller on the front & it won't. Ray.

Comment

Gearhead, thanks for the link, I'll have to look there. I was just in Tofino a few days ago. Didn't see many bikes, mostly cruisers, double up.

Ray, what's a 14 tooth gonna do to the rpms at higher sustained speed?
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
            Gearhead, thanks for the link, I'll have to look there. I was just in Tofino a few days ago. Didn't see many bikes, mostly cruisers, double up.

Ray, what's a 14 tooth gonna do to the rpms at higher sustained speed?
            I dont know about the rest of the island, but around Victoria and towards Sooke there are tons of bikes, more Harleys than any other.
            Going to a smaller tooth front sprocket will raise the rpms of the engine. Less teeth on the rear = lower rpms
            Less teeth on the front = higher rpms

Comment

So a 16 or 17 front sprocket won't work with a 45 rear to lower rpms?

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                So a 16 or 17 front sprocket won't work with a 45 rear to lower rpms?
                A 16 in front will yield the stock 2.8:1 (stock for the GS1100E....don't know if the 1150 gearing is the same), so go with the 17 (2.6:1), to drop rpm for highway cruising...I'm using the same ratio, and it dropped rpm by about 300 at 60 mph....doesn't sound like much, but it does make a difference, providing a more relaxed cruise, with virtually no loss of oomph off the line, and no downshifting required, to pass.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

I was just snooping and saw a question about a 14 tooth sproket... If you read Rays post again, he is saying the chain will rub on the swingarm and make terrible noises... at least thats what I got out of it...
                  Curt
                  sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Carter, to lower RPM, BIGGER in front. To raise RPM, SMALLER in front. Ray.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mysuzyq;1252029]
                      I'm using the same ratio, and it dropped rpm by about 300 at 60 mph

So you're using a 17 upfront and 45 out back or something different out back? Is this a 530 conversion?

My change from 15/42, which I thought was the stock conversion or at least according to the shop, to 15/45 changed the rpms, 300 + - higher. The change to 15/45 was out of my hands because I was out of state when he sent me the parts. I kept shifting into the 6th gear I don't have on the way home, due to the revs being higher.

An aside, I just went on a short ride yesturday and discovered the master link clip I put on in Michigan 2500 miles ago is missing, even though I gooped rvt on it. It was there when I returned from the trip, so it must have come off on my 70 mile loop yesturday. I always carry spares, so I put one on in front of the video store, before I rode home. The plate behind the master link didn't move at all and I was able to pop a new clip on.

Comment

I am running 16/48 = 3:1 on Beloved. G

Comment

[QUOTE=Carter Turk;1252183]
                          Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          I'm using the same ratio, and it dropped rpm by about 300 at 60 mph

So you're using a 17 upfront and 45 out back or something different out back? Is this a 530 conversion?

My change from 15/42, which I thought was the stock conversion or at least according to the shop, to 15/45 changed the rpms, 300 + - higher. The change to 15/45 was out of my hands because I was out of state when he sent me the parts. I kept shifting into the 6th gear I don't have on the way home, due to the revs being higher...
                          Actually, I'm using 18/47 (530 conversion); it does not matter....we are ultimately concerned with the ratio. To get this, divide the rear sprocket # of teeth by the front....you can arrive at a given ratio with a few different combinations of front and rear sprockets. Cheapest and best fix for you, IMHO, is to retain the 45 rear and go with a 17 in front to drop rpm @ 60mph...with the big bore kit etc., you could even (I would, personally) go with an 18/45 to drop rpm still more, without sacrificing too much acceleration off the line. It depends on what kind of riding you do, and what floats your boat.... going with a 17 or 18 in front will drop cruising rpm and increase your theoretical top speed, although it will sacrifice some acceleration off the line.
                          Last edited by Mysuzyq; 07-24-2010, 02:22 PM.
                          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Hey thanks all for the gearing lesson.

I think I'll try the 17 F and see what happens. Yes, I'm trying to be cheap and retain the 45 R, since I just bought it. Thanks for suggesting the combo options Mysuzg, Don.

Ray, how would a 14 not scrape vs. 15? Or were you just messing with me.

Comment

17/45 is what I ended up trying. Thanks Mysuzyg for the gearing suggestion.

Wow! what a difference at 70+ and in the curves it feel pretty good too. Feels like more room is allowed in each gear, taller I guess.

I wonder if mileage will increase?

Comment

Working...
                              X