First gear is shuttering???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First gear is shuttering???

Going into first gear on my 83 GS 1100E is shuttering. All other gears are fine. It just shutters for a second but engages and its fine otherwise. I also notice that the clutch lever is tight and hard to pull on your hand. Anything I can do about that? I wonder what it might be. the bike works fine otherwise but I am curious about this problem. It seems like maybe the clutch is not smoothly engaging or something??? Any ideas? All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pat

hmmmmmmm
    hub nut could be backing off.
    basket could be separating.
    if you like to work on things i recommend that you pull the clutch side all the way back to the transmission bearings and have a look at all the parts.
    simple job and only cost a gasket if every things ok.
    whats your location?

Comment

Could be.

I live in the Sacramento CA area. I appreciate it. I am not sure that I am that good but I will look into getting it looked at perhaps. Thanks again

Comment

If it just shudders immediately after the clutch is released the cable may be the problem.
        Ride a half a block in first gear , then whack the throttle and see if it still shudders. If it doesn't, check the cable, it may be starting to sieze. Disconnect it from the clutch end to see if it slides easily.
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
        X