1983 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs1100e

Hi all, I have some questions and hope someone can shed some light on them!:

1) When I have my bike (1983 GS1100E) on the center stand idleing and then put the bike into gear the rear wheel starts spinning. Is this normal?

2) When the bike is on the center stand, idleing or in gear there seems to be a lot of noise coming from the bottom end. Are the 1100 motors known for this?

3) Does anyone know where I can purchase front and back ss braided brake lines and how difficult are they to install

Thankyou very much!

Tighten down the clutch hub.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

clutch hub

Thankyou Chef1366.

I've newly aquired the GS1100E. Can you be more specific? Where is the clutch hub and how do I tighten it?

Thankyou!

Comment

If you are in the USA, call me at 714-356-7845 & I will walk you through everything. Ray.

Comment

the rear wheel will spin.
          the noise you hear is your chain rubbing inside of the sprocket cover or on the swing arm(chain is loosest when the motorcycle is unladen).
          dennis kirk or some dealer online or in person can get you SS lines.
          if you was local i make SS lines per bike.
          anything else?

Comment

Gs1100E

Thankyou Blowerbike. I appreciate your advice. Will keep you in mind re: ss brake lines.

Comment

Also, check your idle speed. When my '83 rattled, a slight raising of the rpm made all the diff. free fix, if it works.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Idle speed rattling

Thanks Antler. I noticed most of the noise when I had the bike warming up with the choke on.

Comment

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post
                  Thanks Antler. I noticed most of the noise when I had the bike warming up with the choke on.
                  You have three threads running at once so your getting it from all angles

Depending upon how hard your ED was run, you are probably looking at needing to work over your clutch a bit.

Sometimes it is as simple as tightening the clutch hub nut.

If the bike has been abused a bit, then the you may need to get a reinforced clutch which sometimes come up on ebay for about $150 although the last one I bought was for under $90.

This is a chronic problem from the big GS1100E's

see Flyingbanna for a description: This is not too big of an issue and will solve the knock and rattle problems.

Note, the cheapy way to do this is to just weld rivets and shim teh springs. The best way is to get the heavy duty backing plate of find a clutch already done.

The noise will appear at idle and will even sound like it is coming from the top end (mine did).

Sometimes adjusting the carbs will improve the noise but not the situation.

Once you have the cover off you can post some pics of what you find. You have a digital camera right?
                  Last edited by posplayr; 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X