Rocker arm wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocker arm wear

I have the engine apart and was inspecting the rockers for wear and noticed a slight dimple in the middle of the pad. Is this a sign of the rocker going bad? I am running 340 lift web cams with I think stock springs. What are my options, how many miles can I expect out of them?

I think you can send them out and have them hard faced. Ask Ray for his opinion & where to send them

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      I think you can send them out and have them hard faced. Ask Ray for his opinion & where to send them
      yes but very pricey.

they dont actually look bad. Is the dimple a flatspot running across the face?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        yes but very pricey.

they dont actually look bad. Is the dimple a flatspot running across the face?
        Yes, horizontaly across the face, just barely feel it with your finger. The intake side is much better and one of the exhaust is the worst.
        I just dont want to wipe out my $400 web cams.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          Yes, horizontaly across the face, just barely feel it with your finger. The intake side is much better and one of the exhaust is the worst.
          I just dont want to wipe out my $400 web cams.
          Ask Bill I sold him a head with some pretty nice rockers. If he did not use them maybe he has others?

Comment

The issue is that the stock rockers are only CHROME PLATED on the faces & the steel rocker MATERIAL under the chrome is softer & gives way. What happens next is that the chrome loses adhesion to that steel & flakes off & then destroys the cam lobe. Tha GSXR rockers are better material, lighter, & stronger. I would use the GSXR rockers if it were mine. Also, do you have a top end oiler? The oiler helps keep the rockers COOLER, & better lubricated, so the metal doesn't soften under the chrome as easily. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              The issue is that the stock rockers are only CHROME PLATED on the faces & the steel rocker MATERIAL under the chrome is softer & gives way. What happens next is that the chrome loses adhesion to that steel & flakes off & then destroys the cam lobe. Tha GSXR rockers are better material, lighter, & stronger. I would use the GSXR rockers if it were mine. Also, do you have a top end oiler? The oiler helps keep the rockers COOLER, & better lubricated, so the metal doesn't soften under the chrome as easily. Ray.
              Yes, I have a top end oiler, for the last month or so, 750 gears as well. The cams ran without it for a couple months. When you use gsxr rockers do they have to be 1100 rockers? I have looked at ebay and havent seen any.

Comment

The GSXR rockers are all the same from 86-90 & the Katana rockers from the oil cooled motors are the same also. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  The GSXR rockers are all the same from 86-90 & the Katana rockers from the oil cooled motors are the same also. Ray.
                  600/750 also?

Comment

Did they make a 600 oil cooler? The part numbers for the rockers are the same for the 750/1100 gsxr/Katana

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                      Did they make a 600 oil cooler? The part numbers for the rockers are the same for the 750/1100 gsxr/Katana
                      600 katana still today in the states.

Comment

My bad on not being specific enough!!! Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT use 600 Katana rockers as the spacing is closer on the screws & therefore WRONG!!! to use on a GS!!!!!! GSXR & Katana 750 or 1100s with screw adjusters are the ones you want. Ray.

Comment

mannn...
                          ive near gave away 750/1052/1127 heads w/ rockers...
                          GRRRRR

Comment

Sooo, anybody have some to sell me?
                            I am planning to go to the salvage yard and see what they might want for a set. But their prices are kinda crazy sometimes.

Comment

rockers are the most valueable part of a used head- probably worth more than the head itself.
                              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                              X