cam chain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain question

I noticed last night a noise only on decel and I'm thinking it may be the cam chain loose. How do I adjust or reset the tensioner? I searched and can't find anythng. Any help would be appreciated.

It is supposed to be self adjusting, requiring nothing from you.
    Sometimes they wear out and don't work so well.
    Take it out and see what it looks like inside, it probably leaks by now anyway.

Looky here:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ok when I had the valve cover off everything was clean and the oil wasn't that dirty when I changed it. So I don't think the tensoiner is gummed up. Is it common to have a little top end noise on decel? Don't know much about these bikes. Just got mine on the road and noticed the noise last night.

Comment

It won't necessarily be "gummed up", it might have just been installed incorrectly, too.

Depending on what bike you have, you will likely have to pull the carbs for access to the tensioner, but you need to remove the tensioner, ensure that it is working correctly, then install it properly.

Installing it properly involves retracting it fully and locking it into place, then bolting the assembly to the engine. Once it is bolted in place, loosen the set screw that was holding the tensioner plunger, then turn it in until it stops, then back it out about 1/2 turn and lock it into place with the lock nut.

That will allow the plunger to move to adjust tension, but will keep it from going past the stop and getting into the engine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just put a manual on it and forget it.
          Speed Merchant
          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
          X