gs850l stuck in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850l stuck in neutral

Hi, I recently joined the forum but have been using it as a reference for the past few weeks as I have worked on my recently purchased 83 gs850l. So far I have been able to find answers to all my questions by searching, but I haven't found anyone with this particular problem. My motorcycle will start and run, but will not shift from neutral. It won't shift with the engine off either. I have no Idea where to start looking for the problem and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does the shift lever move at all, or is it rigid? Did it ever shift normally since you had it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

when was the last time the oil was changed?

Comment

I changed the oil and filter before I ever tried starting it, so about a month ago and yes, the shifter is rigid, it won't move up or down at all.

Comment

Then it is likely a bent shifter shaft, or something external to the transmission causing the shaft to bind... Good news. Look under the little cover in that area of the left side of the engine, if nothing is wrong there, pull the clutch cover and look around. You may have to remove the clutch itself to see what you need to see. It could be something very simple, like a bent lever binding on the case... have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the shifter shaft in the morning and go from there.

Comment

Just look for anything that would prevent the shaft from rotating. Should be simple to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by jcolli18 View Post
                Hi, I recently joined the forum but have been using it as a reference for the past few weeks as I have worked on my recently purchased 83 gs850l. So far I have been able to find answers to all my questions by searching, but I haven't found anyone with this particular problem. My motorcycle will start and run, but will not shift from neutral. It won't shift with the engine off either. I have no Idea where to start looking for the problem and any suggestions would be appreciated.

By "not shifting" are you saying the shift lever doesnt move?

Or ...

.... are you saying that let out clutch and noting happens at rear wheel?

You know about the spline "hub" in the rear wheel on Gs? THose can strip out (if not greased like need to be) and then she no go in any gear. Trnasmission is shifitn going into gear but shaft spinning but not turning rear wheel.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

No, I mean the shifter doesn't move.

Comment

Originally posted by jcolli18 View Post
                    No, I mean the shifter doesn't move.
                    Okay, I see that you did clairfy that previously for Mr TKent.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well I finally got to take the side cover off the transmission yesterday, and as tkent suggested, it was something simple. somehow the spring on the shifter shaft was out of place and binding up the shifter. The hardest part of this fix was draining the oil. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X