Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E valve adjustment -gaskets

Some really great advice here-thankyou.
    Can someone explain what the 'half moons' are I keep hearing about in relation to adjusting the valves? Is this some type of gasket or O-ring in addition to the valve cover gasket?
    When replacing the valve cover do I need anything else in addition to the valve cover gasket?

Mucho thanks...

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post
    Some really great advice here-thankyou.
    Can someone explain what the 'half moons' are I keep hearing about in relation to adjusting the valves? Is this some type of gasket or O-ring in addition to the valve cover gasket?
    When replacing the valve cover do I need anything else in addition to the valve cover gasket?

Mucho thanks...
    Tha 1/2 moons are located right at the end of the cam caps on the 16V motors at least. There are RTVed in, and typically reveresed from normal so they dont slip out. There are covers over them so you dont see till the square end covers come off.

Comment

Tha 1/2 moons are located right at the end of the cam caps on the 16V motors at least

Thanks. Do the half moons need to be replaced when the valve cover is re-installed? Do they need to be ordered along with the valve cover gasket?

Thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post
        Thanks. Do the half moons need to be replaced when the valve cover is re-installed? Do they need to be ordered along with the valve cover gasket?

Thankyou
        You could but normally they are OK, you might swap them out once every 30 years

Comment

spend the extra 15 or so bucks dude and get the 4 half moons.
          you want to let chump change f up your project or do you want to have that great feeling of doing the job 100% and to the best of your abilities..
          that is a simple answer and to the point.

FYI
          these plugs shrink and they also get hard from engine heat.

Comment

I changed all 4 of mine on my GS750C and by the looks of the gaskets this might have been the first time in quite a few years the valve cover was off. All 4 were (are) still very pliable, but they were changed w/new anyway.

Comment

I would replace them and not worry about it for the next 10years. I would reuse them if you are using the silicon Real Gasket cover gasket, just put a dab of gasket goop on them

Comment

If they're leaking, replace them. If they're not leaking, buy a set to toss in a drawer, and replace them if they leak in the future.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                X