650 to 550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 to 550?

So, poking around the local junkyard for parts for my Supra and I come across a GS550 of some sort. Carbs (BS32SS), Engine and exhaust were useable, the frame looks rotten, and parts of it chopped. Walked out of the junkyard with it on my trailer for $30.

I've read some threads of a 550 being converted to 650cc with the head, cylinders and pistons, carb setup and so on. Is the reverse possible? Just thinking in case my 650's head ever dies or something. If not, at least I got a spare set of carb bodies.

Why would you want to go reverse?

I would say you scored but part out whats usable on here or ebay and use the money for 650 stuff and or beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
      Why would you want to go reverse?

I would say you scored but part out whats usable on here or ebay and use the money for 650 stuff and or beer.
      Just in case my 650 goes out. I don't live in the contiguous 48, gs's are hard to find here. 550's also have a bit more aftermarket support i think.

cant use the bottom end because i have a G.

Comment

The engine is about 20% smaller and the head design is not as efficient, so it would probably feel like a total dog, but it would work, I suppose. I would sell the parts to a 550 owner and keep the carbs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Location information would help but the bottom line is it would suck to spend the money on gaskets just to lose a LOT of horse power and not even have the advantage of the 6th gear the 550s have.

Again good you saved it but sell it to someone that can use it, your 650 head should last you no problem.

Comment

Oh man, I wish I found something like that... what a deal.

Comment

Working...
            X