jumps out of 2nd......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jumps out of 2nd......

I did a search and didnt see anything. That kinda worries me. I was hoping it would be something common, a straight fix, with known issues and parts to acquire. This is a 1993 GSX1100. ( hoping a 93 transmission is the same as the earlier ones) The price was right so I grabbed it. I plan on keeping this one for a daily rider. When shifted into 2nd, it will jump right out, skip a couple of times then jump back in. I dont know if it stays in after that because I shifted to 3rd right away and only rode it home like that. I dont want to do anymore damage. I have ordered a manual, but Im waiting on it to get here. Are there any known culprits to cause this problem? and or tips on where I should focus my attention..?
    Im a good wrench, but I have never done a bike trans before.
    Also, does anyone have a good parts source ??
    Thanx in advance guys..
    RT

your shift drum pattern is worn...that caused the dogs/slots not to fully engage.
    if you only want to do this once...
    inspect all the parts...forks/drum/shift fork shafts/..get the idea?
    i would sent it and related parts to mark at R&D in FLA.
    he is expensive but he is the best and takes no short cuts.

if any transmission is the same it would be GSXR stuff...not air cooled GS stuff.
    R&R the engine and splitting the cases is quite a job.
    i would surely let a professional work on the transmission so i would only have to do this once.

note:
    jumping out of 2nd gear has been a common problem on the oil cooled GSXR's caused by the shift drum pattern getting sloppy.

you have an oil cooled GSXR engine.
    Last edited by blowerbike; 08-12-2010, 01:11 PM. Reason: uhuh

Comment

Excellent info Mike. Thank you. R&D has been doing my race transmissions for a long time. Yes I am trying to avoid that cost. I think Im ok with a complete shop manual. I may have to ask my machinist guy to do some of the measuring for me, because I dont have some of the tools required. I was hoping I would be able to tear the trans down without removing the motor, and splitting the cases. Like I said, I havent spent 15 minutes looking at it since I got it. Im waiting on the manual. So the later 91 and up GSX 4 valve motors are a detuned GSXR motor. Believe it or not, I still havent been able to find out what the stock carb size, ( just busy) and what the stock jetting is. There is a Jardine header on it now, and the stock filter and air box. I may do a K&N drop in or maybe just a cheap Uni. It idles and starts nice, but right off idle it gets to sputtern and coughin he bottom end is so fat with fuel it wont even stop burbling til about 4500.

Comment

am i mike or are you mike?
        would you be mike ross from above dayton/marysville?

Comment

Ahhh..
          I was half asleep and read your screen name as blowerMike.
          My bad.. Anyway, Im gonna do a little pokin around diggin and see if I can find the carb specs. Any suggestions on a source for the trans parts..?
          Thanx for all yer help....
          RT

Comment

My buddy has an '87 GSXR-1100 engine that was road raced most of its life. The engine had the same issue you speak of. Post teardown, the trans needed a new shift drum, and the 2nd/5th ? shift fork slider. (The shift fork pins get flat spots on them). As I understand when the tranny actually "jumps" out of gear it really puts a beating on the drum and fork pins.

Comment

yes I can see that being a very harmful jump to. When it happened to me on the way home I cringed so bad I turned the bars from sport bike to buckhorns...One of those events that a split second was way too long.
              Well, I got great info from you guys, I thank you. So next thing on the list is get it opened up, and asses the damage. If I had the cabbage, I would send it down to R&D. I am very anal and careful about what I do. Especially on a 1st time go around. I can only imagine how long it will take me.

Comment

Working...
              X