Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recording of my starter noise

Should I pull it and have a look?

It is not turning the bike over. Just making this noise.

Should I pull it and have a look?

starter clutch again.

Comment

Hmmm. It did not seem to come from that area, and also I kept trying it and now all I get is a relay click. When my starter clutch went last time there was at least some noise of the starter turning, more than just the relay click.

Comment

pull the starter again(i just read your other thread).
        put 12 volts to it and see if it spins.
        your bike has a good interchange of starter(GS) models.
        it would be nice if someone you knew had a loaner you could use just to see.
        i could have been hearing the last dieing gasp of your electric starter motor.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          pull the starter again(i just read your other thread).
          put 12 volts to it and see if it spins.
          your bike has a good interchange of starter(GS) models.
          it would be nice if someone you knew had a loaner you could use just to see.
          i could have been hearing the last dieing gasp of your electric starter motor.
          HI, OK, just pulled it and it is not spinning. Bummer. Tried to open the starter and one of the philips heads is stripped. I tried using a impact hammer - I am screwed I guess

Comment

there's a very good interchange for your bike starter.
            someone on here may have a buddy deal for 50 bucks plus shipping maybe.
            post it in the wanted area and maybe someone close has one.

Comment

I was able to spin the long studs using vice grips on the shafts. I wish I would have though if that earlier.

Here is a look inside

Comment

video: Found a loose wire inside the starter

I wonder if I can solder this? This might be the whole problem right here, unless I broke it myself....

Suggestions?

Comment

if your talking about the main wire...sometimes they break during disassembly.
                  i really think you should find a good used one if possible.
                  the armatures wear and sometimes new brushes is just a band aid for a short period of time.
                  your starter sounded like a dying goose

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    if your talking about the main wire...sometimes they break during disassembly.
                    i really think you should find a good used one if possible.
                    the armatures wear and sometimes new brushes is just a band aid for a short period of time.
                    your starter sounded like a dying goose
                    Ha, for sure it is in bad shape. Looking at these terminals I just feel this bike has seen more than the 25k miles it's supposed to have run according to the PO plus my miles. Looks more like 40K!

Comment

If one of the commutators is gone then you are down to 1/2 power or worse. You can buy replacement brushes and they are just soldered on. If you can wait get some fresh and I would just replace them all. If in a pinch clean the one you are going to do real well and solder it back on.

I just posted a link here a couple days ago about solder removal, basically you have to get rid of all of the old.

Clean the starter good and make sure the commutator is reasonably smooth (use sandpaper to get it flatter) and grease the bearings.

Comment

Solution for this problem is available at:

Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!

You can order brushes alone and solder them in place, but it will be easier (and not much more expensive) to order the plate with brushes, then fit the set onto your starter.

While waiting for them to arrive, clean the commutator. You can mount the front end of the shaft in a drill and rotate it, and use emery cloth to clean the contacts.

Be careful that you do not touch the main windings, as that will remove insulation from the wires.

Clear away any debris from the sanding, mount your new brush set and you should be ready to go.

When re-assembling, look for the match-marks on the starter case and cover, and replace them in the correct position.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                        X