gasket scraper tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gasket scraper tool

I came up with a simple and effective solution for scraping gunk off the mating surfaces of the valve cover. I took a piece of copper 1/2 pipe, cut off about 1/2 an inch, then cut it lengthwise and hammered it flat. Then cut it lengthwise again so you end up with a something like a 3/4" by 1/2" rectangle. Filed the short end so it had a bevel like a hand plane blade. Then took a 5/8" x 5" dowel and cut a 1/2 slot in the end with a hacksaw to receive the butt end of the rectangle. I also whittled off some of the dowel near the blade to allow a shallow angle in use. Wrapped some electrical tape around the slot to keep it all in place. Since its copper, its not hard enough to scratch the aluminum, but its hard enough to shave off the old gasket sealer. The beveled edge works great for this.

Hard to visualize this, picture?

Comment

So you cut off a half inch which left you with a 1/2" deep hoop with a circumference a little over 1 and 1/2". Then you only used half of the circumference and flattened it out so you had 1/2" by 3/4"? Is that it?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
        Hard to visualize this, picture?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A picture is worth 1000 words

So here you go. I peeled off the electrical tape so you can see the slot. Its got a "tan line" where the tape was

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
            So you cut off a half inch which left you with a 1/2" deep hoop with a circumference a little over 1 and 1/2". Then you only used half of the circumference and flattened it out so you had 1/2" by 3/4"? Is that it?
            Yep. Sorry, my original post was a little hard to follow. And I hadn't even been drinking.

Comment

Full-size view:

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X