Engine/Transmission Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine/Transmission Oil

This does not makes sense to me but looking at my clymer book I get the impression that the engine and transmission oil is the same. In other words, the engine oil also flows to the transmission. Is this correct? To me it would be mind bugling....
    Thanks y'all!

Yes, that is true. That is why the oil change interval is considerably less for bikes than it is for cars.

The recommended interval is about 2,000 miles, many do it more frequently.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nandy View Post
      This does not makes sense to me but looking at my clymer book I get the impression that the engine and transmission oil is the same. In other words, the engine oil also flows to the transmission. Is this correct? To me it would be mind bugling....
      Thanks y'all!
      I hope your mind doesn't "bugle" too much at this news, but yes, engine and tranny share the same oil (some cars also share this trait, such as the sidewinder front wheel drive original Minis and MG 1100s). The primary and secondary drives on shaft drive models use 90 weight hypoid gear oil.

Comment

Ok, thanks much!!!! BTW, I was refering to the 750, I assume the 550 then does the same... Thanks!!!

Comment

That would be correct.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

My 850 does too. What I can't stand is that dammned window you have to look through to check the oil level. I can never see it!! I usually wait until I hear my cam chain rattle, then I add some. Why couldn't they just put a dipstick on the dumb thing?

But anyway, yeah, they're all correct. I think most guys change it every season too, just to be safe. These old gals need all the help they can get!!

Comment

The problem with the windows is that either is empty or overfilled. Of course one shoud just assume is empty but I wasnt even sure I was seeing oil or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
                I think most guys change it every season too, just to be safe. These old gals need all the help they can get!!
                I would hope so. 2000 miles in a year? Is it really worth having a bike if that's all it gets ridden?

Sounds like Harley owners to me

Comment

So far, this year (season) I have changed my oil 5 times. I change oil at least every 2k miles. Once a season? That schedule is for weekend warriors that don't go anywhere much. There are times also, that my window isn't full or empty, it's in between. When I put my bike on the centrestand it's easy enough to see the level of the oil.

Comment

I am really happy that my Wing goes farther than 2,000 miles on an oil change.

In the last year, I have logged over 27,000 miles.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X