starter nose o ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter nose o ring

I have a pretty bad oil leak on my 85 gs 700 E . By searching the forum I have pretty much narrowed it down to the starter nose o ring . My question is about the o ring . Is it a specialty item or should I be able to replace it at napa or ace both have a pretty good selection . thanks 70GT

if its to fat it won't fit.
    to thin and it will leak.
    i would remove the starter and see if its broken.
    i have never seen them leak unless a person installs them roughly and cuts the o-ring.
    seep maybe..but i have never seen them leak as in drip/drip/drip.

Comment

Starter O-Ring

I went through this on my "T" model. I tried the ACE Hardware approach trying to save time, after all its just an O-ring, right .

So I took the old one with me and tried to match it up. Too big... and even with all the cussin' & fussin', I couldn't get the starter back in. So back to the hardware store. Too small... easy install but a sloppy fit .

So I ordered TWO OEM O-rings, just in case the one on my E-model ever decides to leak (or if I damaged it during installation).

Then the installation was easy and the bike is dry, dry, dry.
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

If you have a source for metric o-rings, they're a pretty normal metric size. I forget the size, but bring the starter or old o-ring and measure.

However, you won't find an o-ring that will work amongst the inch-size o-rings found at most hardware stores.

Pep Boys used to sell metric o-rings, but I don't know if they do any more. Harbor Freight carries a huge assortment pack of metric o-rings. These are of unknown quality, but would work in a pinch -- this isn't all that demanding an application.

It's quite common for this to start leaking whenever the starter has been disturbed (and sometimes even when the starter hasn't been touched). The original o-ring gets hard, flattened, and brittle over the years.

If you're leaking oil from the Mystery Hole, this is where it's coming from.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

starter o ring

got a new o ring from local suzuki dealer installed It . Still getting oil from the mystery hole . But the new one looks just slightly thinner . They are almost identical but the original just seems a little more chubby . It must be just different enough to not seal . might have a 85 gs 700e for sale soon getting sick of working on it thanks 70gt

Comment

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
            got a new o ring from local suzuki dealer installed It . Still getting oil from the mystery hole . But the new one looks just slightly thinner . They are almost identical but the original just seems a little more chubby . It must be just different enough to not seal . might have a 85 gs 700e for sale soon getting sick of working on it thanks 70gt
            don't give up that easy...
            this is when the fun starts!
            if the 0-ring is thinner then you shouldn't have installed it.
            when you removed the starter was it wet with oil?
            was this for sure your leak source?

Comment

starter o ring

The starter was not drenched in oil but there was evidence of some fresh oil on it . The little bay it sets in was oily also . I have multiple oil leaks just trying to fix them all . so damn hard to figure out where they come from . I have recently nicknamed my bike the gusher . I know I have an oil line leaking left side back of head . Valve cover gasket leaking . originally thought the main leak was from the stator cover 2 gaskets later and now rtv only this is not leaking. i suppose it is possible that the leaky line is leaking into the starter bay . Since I have a broken bolt on the end of the starter cover that only has one bolt witch means the cover is not sealed down tight. The seal on the shifter shaft is also suspect . The oil ends up down the left side of the oil pan all around the left side of the bottom edge of the motor and a little bit makes its way onto the exhaust . after I ride to work 25 miles and park it leaves about 6 1 1/2 to 2inch spots of oil also the toe of my boot gets oil on it when riding . also I do not give up to easy been making repairs since I got the bike last summer . thanks for all the help and info 70GT
              Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

If your stator wires feed thru hole along starter like mine- you say you replaced stator cover gasket twice and "rtv"- maybe the gasket or stator wire grommet is not sealing in this area and is allowing oil to pass into the starter area. Then, a non sealing starter cover would respond to any wind vacuum as you ride sucking oil out.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X