Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100e crankshaft taper...large or small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100e crankshaft taper...large or small?

I have a GS1100ed that was built the 11th month of 1982. The title says it is a 1983 and the engine is black. It needs a flywheel/rotor so I bought a engine for parts that is supposed to be a 1983 and is also black. It came from the widow of a drag racer and has no engine numbers. It looks like there never was any. I removed my flywheel with 30/1.5 mm Puller and when I removed the stater from the drag motor I found my puller was too small for the hub. My question is does this mean one has the large taper and the other small? I don't have a puller for the big hub to see if there is a difference and don't want to spend the money for one if I can't use the flywheel.

big puller=small taper.......
    small puller= large taper........
    got it?

IF the engine you bought has a small left side and IF it is FOR SURE factory BLACK....
    then you have an 1983 KATANA 1100 engine as they had the small left side(takes large puller).

Comment

not only katana SD motors came in black.... we have 1100ES in the UK that also had black motors of the same year... not sure if the same in the US. if it's factory black then it should also have a factory welded crank in it along with a myriad of other "upgraded" bits n bobs. altogether a slightly better motor. if katana motor then also stronger rods

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
        not only katana SD motors came in black.... we have 1100ES in the UK that also had black motors of the same year... not sure if the same in the US. if it's factory black then it should also have a factory welded crank in it along with a myriad of other "upgraded" bits n bobs. altogether a slightly better motor. if katana motor then also stronger rods
        he has an 83 E/ES(black) for which he is looking for the rotor SC assembly.
        the 83 katana(black) info i added was to let him know that it had a small left taper instead of a typical 83 1100E/ES large taper.
        the "katana 493" rods to my knowledge was only used in the 82 1000 katana engines in the states.

Comment

Terry, according to the Suzuki phiche (sp?) the 83 Kat also has 493 rods. Ray.

Comment

"493" Rods

From my experience, I'll back Ray up.

A few years ago, I had in my possession a crank known to be from an '83 Katana 1100 (a friend still owns the donor Kat).

I.e. black case finish, small alt taper, small-dia alt rotor, factory-welded crankpins.
            It had '493' rods.

Comment

gee wizzz ladies i can't be right all the time..
              stay on topic and stop thread jacking

Comment

Sorry, Terry.
                Bored at work.
                No insult, etc. intended.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin1166 View Post
                  Sorry, Terry.
                  Bored at work.
                  No insult, etc. intended.

Carry on.

i have leather like skin man..
                  you are ok i my book simply because you know stuff.
                  now please don't ask me why your bike won't pull over 4k after you removed the air box..HA!

Comment

my point was that there is a lot better quality stuff in the katana motor than there is in the other one so not only should the OP look at exchanging the rotor but give thought to the entire crank as it has superior rods and a welded crank as well; all being the true basis for any strong engine

..... and the Kat SD rods are also in UK bikes at least as well as i can testify, not only that side of the atlantic

Comment

my point was that there is a lot better quality stuff in the katana motor than there is in the other one so not only should the OP look at exchanging the rotor but give thought to the entire crank as it has superior rods and a welded crank as well; all being the true basis for any strong engine

..... and the Kat SD rods are also in UK bikes at least as well as i can testify, not only that side of the atlantic
                      good point except...
                      i have never broken a rod...
                      the huge DOWN SIDE TO THE 83 KATANA CRANKS ARE....
                      the ****small taper****...thats a killer.
                      the only plus to the 83 katana crank is the 493 rods.
                      everything else is the same or worse.

Comment

Replacement cases from Suzuki came with no numbers in the pad area

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          good point except...
                          i have never broken a rod...
                          the huge DOWN SIDE TO THE 83 KATANA CRANKS ARE....
                          the ****small taper****...thats a killer.
                          the only plus to the 83 katana crank is the 493 rods.
                          everything else is the same or worse.
                          a welded crank is the same or worse? how'd ya figure that one?

lol

Comment

a welded crank is the same or worse? how'd ya figure that one?

lol
                            oh sparki
                            you didn't read what i said or i didn't say what i meant..
                            an 83 1100E has a welded crank also...
                            get it now?
                            small taper is bad because they spin somewhat easy when ran hard.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              small taper is bad because they spin somewhat easy when ran hard.
                              NOT if you run the crank without the rotor!!! !!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X