• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slots? You lost me...
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Slots?? Me too...with the Napa kit you just put the insert onto the plug and use the plug and socket to screw the insert into the threadsmade by the tap..there are barbs on the insert that lock the insert into the head and you just remove the plug as you normally would after that.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nessism;1270632]Nothing wrong with helicoils but they are not the proper insert for a spark plug application.

In the aircraft industry helicoils are extremely common and considered more robust than threads in straight aluminum. QUOTE]

We build OEM cylinder head assemblies for aircraft engines and everyone leaves with a heli-coil in the spark plug thread. There are as many styles of heli-coils as there are motorcycles. The type we uses locks into the threaded hole so there is virtually no way it could possibly twist out.
        The advantage to a heli-coil over an insert is the fact that you don't have to remove as much material to install. Compare the drill sizes for a given thread repair between the coil and an insert to see.

Comment

In the process of replacing all my engine cover gaskets, I managed to pull the threads out of a bolt hole or two. Do they make Timeserts small enough for a valve cover bolt hole and a stator cover bolt hole?

Comment

Working...
          X