Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter clutch, loud Knock when starting? also smoke from under the head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch, loud Knock when starting? also smoke from under the head?

OK I just got the bike fired up for the first time this week..

I have 2 wierd issues that I'm not sure about..

One is the starter clutch..

I'd replaced it when I got the bike because all the bolts had sheared..

When I crank the bike with the ignition disconnected it's all fine.. no problem..

When the ignition is live it will sometimes kick like it's pre-igniting and there will be a loud knock from the starter clutch like someone rapped the case with a hammer....
    Sometimes it just appears to stall pushing against compression but it usually gets through it..

Also when it does this (slowing or knocking) there will be a small puff of smoke that comes up from under the front center of the head and behind near the cam chain tensioner..

There does appear to be a small amount of oil seeping in that area on the front of the engine.

The knock usually happens at least once when trying to start it cold.

After it's started it runs great.. no problem there..

The timing is set on the marks for both sets of points.. (checked with a light today)

crabs are fresh (dipped, all new o rings) to needles may not be set perfectly.. I did bench sync it..

Any ideas what might be going on?? or is the odd starter knock normal?

For an 8 valver to do this I would look to see if the timing is advanced or there is a buch of compression. Ray.

Comment

You might be right..

When I first checked it was set right on the F.. I moved it to the mark I could see..
      From the ignition docs I can find I think I may have advanced it more to the full advance mark.. Doh!

That would explain why it didn't make things any better

I'll re-time it to the right mark and see how it goes..

Thanks!

Comment

OK you rule..

I dialed back the timing as far as the plate would allow but it's still a shade past the idle mark.. I find that odd but it's much improved.. starting is easy now.. Stone cold she fired in only 4 turns with the choke on.. warm just a quick blip will do it..

No bucking, squeaking, or loud knocks from the starter clutch..

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X