Valves gs850 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valves gs850 1982

I just talked to a mechanic buddy who said if I check my compression and the numbers are close to each other and within spec, then he wouldn't worry about the valves. Just checkin since I hear so much about about doing them on here. The two of us recently got old bikes and he would like to hear as well. He got the madura (poor guy).

Probably true for the next few hundred miles. But you need the .03 minimum clearance to make sure it goes the next 4000 miles (valve clearance inspection interval) without losing compression and/or burning valves.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

First off, welcome to the gsr and congrats on getting the 850. As for the valves, it is good news that your compression is good, but that isn't a safe bet that your valves are not about to become tight and be burned. Unless, you have some reason that you know the clearances are within .03 to .10mm or so, you should check them out. If the bike is extremely low mileage, (less than 1,000 miles) they are suspect. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Hi,

If YOU have never checked your valve clearances, then it should definitely be done. By the time the compression numbers show a problem it may be too late.

If you inventory your shims and clearances, keep track of the wear, and run your clearances on the loose end of spec (like I do), you can probably go 6000 or 8000 miles between shim replacements. But this IS NOT recommended if you don't already know your clearances and shim thicknesses.

I just did a valve check last week after 6000 miles. I didn't have to change any shims at all. Only 2 clearances tightened by .01mm. All of my clearances are .06mm to .10mm.

But you MUST measure your valve clearances to properly maintain your bike. You will burn valves if they are neglected.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2010, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Second doing the checks anyway. I have the same bike, and the first time I did a valve adjust it took me maybe three hours and I ended up switching 5 shims. It was not hard at all, and is actually a lot of fun. Last weekend I did it again and took me under an hour. Only changed 3 shims this time.

I was scared of the seemingly daunting procedure at first to, but once you get it opened up its very straight forward.

Its better to put an afternoon of preventative maintenance than and engine rebuild. If they're fine at least you know and can sleep at night easy.

Comment

My 1980 850 had great compression when I got it. Checked the valves, all but two of the valves were too tight, one had zero clearance. If i had ridden it hard, that valve would likely have burnt.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Plus look out for Kawasaki shims intruding in there. Look the same but .5mm less across the diameter and just dying to leap out.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                Plus look out for Kawasaki shims intruding in there. Look the same but .5mm less across the diameter and just dying to leap out.
                It's not just Kawasaki with the 29mm shims, some Yamahas have them, too.

I have a box of shims that was shared between my ZN1300 and my son's XVZ1300.
                (That's a Kawasaki Voyager 1300 and a Yamaha Venture Royale, for those that don't know the designations.)

My Voyager is gone, so it's just for the Venture now.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 850 also has good compression and every single one of the shims needed swapped.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

thanks guys I figured there was more. I just put around on it now, still need a few things. Plan on doing the valves when weather turns, carbs too!. Had bike 2 months now and love this site!

Comment

I'll add my welcome. It's a great site - kept my 850 on the road for the last 4 years with help from these guys.

And do check those valve - I'm checking mine right now. Get Basscliff's tutorial - makes the first valve check much easier.

Comment

I just pulled my head after realizing all of my intake valves were leaking. I lapped all my valves and got all my clearances to .08mm. Also replaced all my oil seals. Make sure to check your valves regularly.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X