Replacing an '80 motor with a '79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing an '80 motor with a '79

The motor in my 80 550E sounds horrible at idle... The bottom end sounds like it needs a good rebuild and I believe it to be ****ing oil from the gasket between the block and lower portion of the cylinders. I'm sure the bottom end needs new rod/main bearings but I'm not sure what else could be damaged as well. I have a good condition '79 550L motor sitting in my garage with lower miles and I was thinking about swapping that in rather than rebuilding the current motor.

I know that the '79 motor uses different carbs, so I was planning on swapping the head from the '80 motor on to the '79 so I can use my existing carbs... I would also need to swap the ignition components over because the '79 motor uses a points ignition system, compared to the primitive electronic ignition that is on the '80 motor. Furthermore, the '79 motor uses electric and kick-start. I was also thinking about swapping clutch covers to eliminate the kick-start.

Is there any problems with this that are not obvious? I have a complete engine gasket set so I do have a new metal head gasket to put on and other seals as well... I've used the kick-start to rotate the crank on the '79 motor so I know that it isn't locked up and, externally the motor looks in fabulous shape.

Oh and do these motor utilize studs or bolts for the head, and are they re-usable or should I get new ones?

Thanks!

For what you're doing the old head studs will be just fine. I'd leave the kick starter on it, but that's just my two cents...
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Well, I originally wanted to use the '79 motor cuz of the kick starter, but when I realized that the cylinder heads were different I just decided to keep the original '80 motor. I am divided on whether or not I want to keep the kick starter and I very well may just to make this swap go faster.

Comment

Working...
      X