Timing chain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing chain question

I have an 82 GS1100GK that has been in a mechanics shop for 18 months! This kid obviously is over his head but, he still knows more than I do. The last problem he told me he found was that the timing chain is stretched too much to get the correct timing. He wants to replace the chain which entails, I believe, pulling the motor. He tells me the timing tensioner is maxed out. So, will it hurt the bike to ride it if the timing is a little off? Does the motor need to be yanked and is that something I can do? Lastly, how hard is it to replace a timing chain?

Replace the mechanic.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

if the bike has been there for 18 months i would take it back, without paying and either do it yourself or find another mechanic who knows what he is doing.
      what was it put in the garage for in the first place?
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Find another mechanic. How many miles on the bike ? Typically the chain will last 100K miles. The motor needs to have the cases split to replace the cam chain. The down and dirty way without splitting the cases is to use a master link

Comment

R&R cam chain is maximum labor...it is as far as you can go as far as engine disassembly.
          i worked on an 8v. years ago that the chain was stretched beyond limit.
          with a manual tensioner the chain still drooped between the cam sprockets.
          **this is very uncommon to say the least**
          from the top the guides seemed ok and the customer wouldn't give the ok to pull the top end to see if the rear guide was worn out.
          sounds like its time for a new mechanic.

Comment

18 months is enough time for a restoration. You are indeed a patient guy. I would have taken it elsewhere 17 months ago.

Comment

put a manual tensioner on it and ride it.
              Speed Merchant
              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
                18 months is enough time for a restoration. You are indeed a patient guy. I would have taken it elsewhere 17 months ago.
                I should have, but, as it turned out, he more or less was storing it for me. I have 3 other bikes to ride. The GS is for pleasure riding with the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  Find another mechanic. How many miles on the bike ? Typically the chain will last 100K miles. The motor needs to have the cases split to replace the cam chain. The down and dirty way without splitting the cases is to use a master link
                  The bike is low mileage, just over 30,000. The worst part of this whole thing is I could never catch the guy. He didn't return calls, etc. He was working on it at home so I finally went to the Suzuki shop where he worked and confronted him. He's putting it back together, (fairing, etc.) and there is no charge. As if I would pay it anyway!!

Comment

Carb rebuild. It wouldn't start once engine was warm.

Comment

where are you from dean?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        where are you from dean?
                        I live in Wasilla, Alaska

Comment

Originally posted by deanwill View Post
                          I live in Wasilla, Alaska
                          tell sarah palin i said hey
                          your location explains a lot i think as far as timely work.
                          if your chain needed replaced...as i said earlier..
                          its a HUGE job and most shops won't take these on during the busy part of the season.
                          the reason i asked your location was to offer to check it for you if you was close or semi close to me..well i guess thats out of the question.
                          good luck with your repairs.

Comment

I seriously doubt the chain is stretched. The service manual has a spec where you can measure the chain and compare it to standard. We did this on Salty Monk's GS1000 with 80,000 miles and it still checked out fine.

Hard starting could be many issues, 99% not related to the cam chain. I suggest adjusting the valves, making sure the carbs and tank are spotless, and trying again.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by deanwill View Post
                              Carb rebuild. It wouldn't start once engine was warm.
                              That should be pretty simple

Get the bike back, download a service manual from Basscliff, get a few tools and you're on your way to recovery!
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X