Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for new rings?

Hello All.

The '82 1100L used a bit more than a quart of oil on the Indy run this weekend. (400 miles round trip.)

I checked compression and I'm down to 110 on all four.

I have no idea where to start. I'm guessing that it's pull the cylinders and take them to the machine shop to check them for spec and to see if they can be honed within spec.

Anyone know of a good guide for this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Rob

p.s. The Indy MotoGP was a hoot. Of the thousands of bikes downtown Saturday night, mine was the only GS that I saw though. :-(

A quart of oil in 400 miles is really not much. Did you test compression with a fully warmed up motor ??? Did you hold the throttle open ??? Did you have a battery charger on it so the reading on the first cylinder and the last cylinder had equal chances ???......Is your gauge accurate ???........Billy

Comment

A quart of oil every 400 miles in my opinion is indeed alot. But if it were me I wouldnt worry about it.

As long as the bike runs good, ride it and keep the oil level toped off.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Ring job…

Having just done one… http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=162905
        The motor comes apart easy, but it's quite finicky getting the block to slide down over the new piston rings. I used a Clymer manual and that was good, they just don't worn you how frustrating it's gonna be.
        As for taking the block to a machine shop is a good idea. They know how to measure and hone, but for sure they'll want to go whole hog with your money. That means new pistons as well.
        Be ready to examine and repair the valves as well.
        Sounds like your compression is close to 100 psi, and that's the last stop.
        Bill
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM. Reason: “No excape from the Blues”
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

If your 110 compression figure is done cold, you're okay on that

The most likely cause of oil consumption is the valve guide seals, not the rings

But, further testing is required

Test the compression with a hot motor, wide open throttle and record those numbers

Then, add an ounce or two of oil in each cylinder and retest. Record those numbers

Also, when was the last time the valves were adjusted?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks everyone. Maybe it's not as dire as I suspected.

To answer some of the questions.

1) Runs great. Idles smoothly a little under a 1000 when warm and nary a stutter/hesitation/pop/backfire throughout the powerbands. I do have to choke it to get it started though.

2) Did a valve adjustment this spring. I got them all between .06 and .09.

3) I didn't compression test throttle wide open. I'll try again on a warm engine with some sort of battery assist.

More later.

Thanks again,

Rob

Comment

Oh, and I forgot. Replaced the valve guide seals this spring as well.

Comment

Rings is a winter project... just did mine and should have waited but I had an external oil leak and broke a ring on the reinstall and decided to get the hone done and all new rings, at that point whats another $200? lol

Comment

Working...
                X