No announcement yet.

Checking for life in an engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine turning over is always a good point. Since there was no resistance by hand you should be all good to hook up a good battery and see if she will start. Opinions will vary here but if you just want to see if lady luck is on your side and check if the engine will start, I say put some gas in and press the starter with your fingers and toes crossed.

Otherwise, it may pay to drop the oil and put in some cheap stuff first. If you don't put any new oil in, and it does start, turn it off straight away. You don't want to be sitting there proud as punch reving the engine only to find that the old oil is like tar and 2 minutes latter the engine siezes on you. That would be just my luck.

If it starts, trun it off, drop the oil and replace the filter. Use a nice diesel spec oil, I think Rotella is the one everyone over there raves about.

Looking good.

Comment

I don't think we're at the pour gas in and give it a whirl stage yet. When you revolve engine, you're using a wrench on large nut (19mm ?) and not that little guy holding the advancer ? and clockwise? Did you make two revolutions, so you know the valves aren't bumping into anything?
      Get a sample of oil out- hopefully it will be ok for now.
      Sure, get a battery and see if it will crank over.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Provided there's nothing catastrophic wrong with the topend of the engine...and I doubt there is....it will run. These bikes WANT to run.

If it were me, I'd do the following.

1) Clean/dip and rebuild the carbs as per the carb cleaning series.
        2) Adjust the valves. Very important step.
        3) Check your petcock operation.
        4) Make sure the air intake system/filter box is sealed properly.
        5) Electrical checks as per the stator papers.
        6) Of course, new fluids, filters and gaskets as required.

Once you get this far, you'll have a better understanding of what else your bike may need and as far as the engine goes, it should be running pretty well. After all this, you'll need to do brake work, tires, drivetrain, etc......

Good Luck !!!
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          If it were me, I'd do the following.

Good Luck !!!
          Thanks tom and Larry, I will work on these parts, here is what i know I need to do:

I plan on doing this, I have everything I need to do this.
          I will check them soon as I can
          This is going to be a problem, it is rusted stuck... working on that
          No air box or filter in the bike
          Might be missing some parts not seeing a rectifier, some connectors have been cut off the wire harness. The spark plug caps are rusted. Needs new spark plugs.
          Have everything to change the oil

Comment

Update

Was able to track down all the eletrical problems and get the starter spinning. Put some gas in a funnel, hit the starter button and it took of like a banshee. The speedometer said it got up to 60mph before I killed it. Scared the crap out of me. The PO had the speedo connected to the engine. Fixed that, turned the idle nob counter clockwise, turn it a ton. I was only able to get it to 2500 RPMs but that is better than redline on startup. Not sure if this is something I need to fix before carb rebuild or worry about it later? Could also have went down in idle because ran out of gas, not sure, it held at 2500 for 15 seconds or so than died.

Anyways, thanks again. Exciting that the engine sounded great, except the sky high rpms.

Comment

Mop Bucket, PM sent. I have a complete air box from my 81 750E if it will fit, comes with K&N filter too.

Comment

I opened up the top to check valve clearances and wanted to post a follow up to what the inside of the ugly weld looked like. When I broke the gasket seal I had a bad surprise. There was the sound of small rock hitting metal, lots of small rocks hitting metal. Below is part of what I pulled out of one side of the engine. There was crap all over the shims, buckets and floor. Below are the big chucks that came out. The dollar bill is for reference. I spent hours cleaning that crap out. Had to stuff in corners and nooks to get as much as I could. Anyone know what that stuff is? I feel like I was hill billed by the original owner.

I

As a follow up I also took a picture of the ugly weld job from the inside. I don’t know if that is a good job or not.

Side note, I would have bought the tappet tool, if the local dealership would have had one to check valve clearances. Instead I tried the zip tie method. It is supper easy to do and cheap. I was a little scared of breaking, but I think if I always use newer and pliable ties I don't need to worry too much.

Comment

Someone left tho valve cover off, those are leaves and stuff. I would remove the oil pan to make surer they all come out. But the oil filter will probably get them if you don't.I wouldn't worry about the weld, if it wasn't leaking it won't.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

"lots of small rocks hitting metal" ??? Did you find any sand/ gravel in there? Unless southwestern leaves are unusually heavy, I don't get the sound. Definitely, drop oil pan and look for more items.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

They look like bits of dried up gasket and other misc. goop to me.

Comment

It is some sort of goo or sealer. First time cracking an engine but I doudt it is supposed to be in the engine. The crap was super thick around arund the seal. My guess is that when they opened the engine last they didn't buy a new gasket and substitued goo for doing it right. The old gasket was there but it was falling apart half not there.

Comment

It is alive! After getting missing parts, a second set of carbs, cleaning the carbs, ordering more parts, installing and removing the carbs 3 times, spilling gas everywhere, fabing a second temp gas tank, recharging the battery, I hit the switch and the little gs650 purred and purred. The party started promptly after.

Comment

Great news!!!!
                            Way to go!

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                            X