Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Noise...

Hi All

The last week or so the 550 has developed a new sound or at least I have started to notice it. It is a cyclic sound that is directly related to road speed, not engine speed. The sound is kind of like the scuffing of rubber. Sort of like when your kid scuffs their shoes because you wouldn't buy them that lolly/toy.

My thoughts are the chain, so I got some new aerosol type chain lube and gave it a clean and a spray. I checked the tension and I have about an inch of play when the bike is on the centre stand. There is no lateral movement in the chain and I am still well on the engine side of halfway on the adjusters.

When on the centrestand the cahin looks to be rubbing or very close to a bushing on the swing arm pivot. The noise is only evident at lowish speeds....City commuting type speeds.

Any ideas?

Well, I worked it out. Turns out it wasn't coming from the rear of the bike, but the front.

The speedo drive gear was starting to sieze up due to the lube drying up. I disassembled the drive gear by removing the c-clip, the washer, then the plate. I then grabbed the centre section that is the gear and pulled while twisting. She popped right out and I crammed a heap of grease in there. Reassembled and no more noise. Also the front wheel spins a bit more freely now too.

Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
    X