Clutch not engaging or disengaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch not engaging or disengaging

I have a problem with my clutch still. I can't get the clutch to engage or disengage.

I took the clutch apart and discovered that the clutch basket and plates were stuck together. Most of the parts were sort of covered in sludge. So I cleaned everything except for the fibers with brake cleaner.

I soaked the fibers while I was cleaning everything off. I put it all back together and I'm still at the same spot. I don't know what I'm doing wrong to get the clutch to engage.

I was able to move through the gears before and after taking the clutch apart. I hit the starter button a couple of times to rotate things and now I can't get the clutch to engage to allow me to shift to 1st gear.

So, I'm back where I started. I haven't put oil back in yet. I only put a couple of the bolts in to hold the cover in place and then I put the cable back on. I thought it was adjusted but maybe that's my problem.

Is there a way to test it without the cable on? You know, like moving the clutch lever with your hand to see if it works properly?

Any other ideas?

year/make/model information needed minimum.

Comment

Sorry, 78 GS1000E.

Comment

how can it not engage or disengage? it has to be one or the other.
        are you saying it wont transmit the drive through when you let the clutch lever out or it wont disengage when you pull the lever in so you can sit with the bike in gear?
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

When I had the cable hooked up, I would pull the clutch lever in and nothing would happen. The clutch arm moved with no resistance and I wasn't able to get into any gears.

The plates were stuck when I took them apart. I thought that maybe I put it back together wrong but I put back together the exact way I took it apart.

Could that be the problem? It didn't shift before and I tried a number of suggestions, including driving around in 1st gear and revving the throttle to try to free the plates.

It seems like the clutch is too free and maybe something isn't hooked up right to begin with.

Comment

sounds to me like the clutch has been rebuilt incorrectly
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              sounds to me like the clutch has been rebuilt incorrectly
              if the racket mechanism isn't engaged properly then you will not be moving the pressure plate(disengaging clutch).
              take it back apart and double check everything you do/have done.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that is the case. I will take it apart again and try to assemble it again.

According to the diagram and what I've read, I put it back together correctly.

Any hints on how to make sure that I have put everything back correctly, other than it working properly?

Comment

try moving the lever on the splined shaft counter clocwise a spline, see if that helps. make sure the clutch cover is bolted on tight as well
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

OK, I just took the clutch basket out. I put it back in making sure to keep the tabs aligned with the notches.

It sits flush and now I have a question. If my bike is in neutral, should I be able to move the clutch basket or only the center shaft, which presently turns freely?

When I bought this bike, it wasn't running so I have nothing to compare this to. I bought another engine from a 79 GS1000E and since they are the same and it was running 2 years ago, I figured all would be well.

Yet, here I am stuck on getting the clutch to work. Do I have to put everything back together completely and adjust the cable before I know if it was assembled correctly? Is there a way to tell if one has put it back together the way it was supposed to?

Comment

center will turn only.
                      the basket is ran by the engine turning.
                      you have to assemble completely to adjust the free play.
                      if you didn't have the basket seated/installed properly..
                      the bike would have been direct drive as far as the clutch disengaging when the lever is pulled in.

Comment

Could my problem be the adjustment of the clutch cable? I haven't put it back together yet but I don't see any difference between how I put it all back together and the diagram in the Haynes manual.

I tried to adjust the clutch to have the recommended 2mm play and while the lever feels ok, the clutch is still not working properly.

If there are any tricks on how to adjust it, I couldn't find it searching the forums. I found a ton of info but nothing specific to my bike.

I'm going to reassemble now and try adjusting the clutch cable again and see where it gets me.

If anyone can tell me step by step how to go about adjusting the cable, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong and why the clutch isn't working properly.

Comment

throw the 2mm out the window...
                          you have to adjust the clutch so that it works while sitting still in gear and under full power going down the road.
                          on your model the only adjustment you have is free play.

Comment

So, I must do this after I finish building it then. I don't have the gas tank on yet cuz I'm still rattle can painting it.

Maybe everything is well and we'll find out when I put the tank on. I thought I could adjust it without running.

Maybe I'll toss the tank on quickly just to see if it works. I have a little gas left in the lawnmower tank that I can put in my bike.

Comment

I still have the original engine from the bike and I noticed that the clutch plates in that one appear to be factory. The reason for this is that I tried my new torque wrench on the spring screws to torque at 9lbs and ended up shearing one off. So, I have to go to the other clutch basket. Luckily, I have a spare engine laying around for such stupidity.

Upon further inspection, the clutch plates say BT&E. Anyone ever hear of them? If so, are they any good?

Should I just install the factory plates? Both sets appear to be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X