leaking from shaft boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking from shaft boot

My '82 gs1100GL is leaking oil from the shaft boot. Any suggestions? I haven't taken the boot off and looked at it yet, I was hoping someone would know something right away, like if it's the shaft seal or something. Thanks!

Hi,

Search function:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

There are more.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks basscliff. Yeah I'm definetly going to need to do the seal. I took the boot off and about 1/2 a cup of gear oil came out. This should be fun..

Comment

Hi,

Oh! Sorry to hear that. I've heard it's inconvenient, but not too difficult of a job. Please take pictures and share your repair.

BassCliff

Comment

I will try to take some pictures while I do it. From what I understand I just need to take the rear wheel off w/ the caliper and I can slide the shaft out with just enough room. We'll see.

Comment

Does anyone know a good place to get the seal/o-ring from?

Comment

I could not find the OEM in MEX so, went to a general store, with the sample in hand and got one for a hydrolic water pump. $5. 4000 miles later, is still nice and dry in there.

Comment

I was thinking I could get one and bang it out all in one sitting without leaving but I guess I might have to do that. Thanks Rich.

Comment

Hi,

I think you need #15 in this picture:

OIL SEAL
                  09283-35018

About $8.26 at partshark.com.

BassCliff

Comment

Hi Guys,

I know this thread is a little old now but I have come across the very same problem on my GS1100. Having now removed the swing arm I've discovered that the nut (13 in the picture below) was loose which almost certainly was causing the leak. I've ordered a new oil seal anyway and will replace it given I've done all the work to pull it apart. One question, I've seen mentioned a torque setting for this nut in other threads but I haven't been able to find it anywhere, can anyone help?
                    Would it be a good idea to put a bit of loctite on it to prevent it happening again?

BTW, thanks very much to BassCliff for his excellent website on GS repairs which I referred to continuously while pulling it all apart.

Thanks,

Craig.

Comment

Mine has 70 lbs/ft. and no locktite. Been running trouble free for almost a year.

Comment

Thanks Richsuz,

I don't want to use loctite if I don't need to as it would be a pain to ever get off again. I'll torque it to 70 lbs/ft and keep my fingers crossed.
                        Yes, at this point I'm very glad I don't have a K

Cheers,

Craig.

Comment

Originally posted by mooriegs1100 View Post
                          Hi Guys,

I know this thread is a little old now but I have come across the very same problem on my GS1100. Having now removed the swing arm I've discovered that the nut (13 in the picture below) was loose which almost certainly was causing the leak. I've ordered a new oil seal anyway and will replace it given I've done all the work to pull it apart. One question, I've seen mentioned a torque setting for this nut in other threads but I haven't been able to find it anywhere, can anyone help?
                          Would it be a good idea to put a bit of loctite on it to prevent it happening again?

BTW, thanks very much to BassCliff for his excellent website on GS repairs which I referred to continuously while pulling it all apart.

Thanks,

Craig.
                          My 1100g manual says to use loctite on bolt. This is one I don't think I want to come loose. Torque to 65 to 79.5 lbs/ft.

BTW, download a service manual for nada from BassCliff's website. See post 2.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the pointers, will apply loctite as per specified in the service manual.

Cheers,

Craig.

Comment

Just an update on this, after looking at the service manual it became obvious I didn't have the original nut installed. Someone had replaced it with a nylon lock style nut which does not have the advantage of locking into the notch on the gear shaft. $15.00 (AUS) later and I have the original nut. Now I'll be a bit more confident it won't come loose again

-C.

Comment

Working...
                              X