Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very strange to start.....

Hi all, I hope you can help>
    I love my GS, but its getting to the stage that I want to sell it!

I was having a bit of trouble starting my bike the last 2 weeks, it was turning over but not starting up, and after 4-6 times it would kill the battery. The odd day it would start, and ride great.

So last Thursday (payday) I bought a new battery, and spark plugsand fitted them.

Perfect for the first day or two, starting every time, first time. But now its gone back to its old ways, though the battery power it great.

To start it I have to wind the throttle right back and hold it there while pressing the starter button. It will start to tick over after a few goes, but takes a minute or two to "fully start" before I can let the throttle back to normal.
    It driving me mad and sad!

Last Friday morning I really wanted to ride it to work on a lovely Summers morning. But no luck. Had to leave it there on my drive and take my car.

Please, any advice would be of great help, though I might get a pro to check it out for me as Im afraid to make it any worse.

I need it back on the road before the rain comes back!

Thanks
    Seanie

Previously, you mentioned a new battery- what size did you get 10ah or 14 ah? Has the normal way to start your bike been to open throttle- this is not normal for most of us? If cold start, I activate "choke" fully, do not touch throttle and bike fires right up though it runs rough for thirty seconds. Twisting the throttle defeats the the purpose of the "choke " which is really a starter enrichment system- it's not a plate that blocks the carbs throats.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

First thing to do is to learn proper starting technique.

Proper starting technique starts with proper maintenance, including:
      VALVE ADJUSTMENT
      Carb cleaning and adjustment
      Ignition timing and good plugs/wires.

Yes, VALVE ADJUSTMENT is heavily emphasized because it is VERY important.

Once you have all the mechanical stuff sorted, proper starting technique should resemble this:
      1. Move your "choke" lever to the left about half of its travel
      2. Ensure the "kill" switch is turned to ON
      3. Turn ignition key to ON
      4. Pull clutch lever (even if you have the switch bypassed, it's a good idea)
      5. Press starter button
      6. Modulate engine speed with "choke" lever

Did you notice that there was absolutely NO mention of touching the throttle?

Good, because if you move the throttle, you upset the enrichment system ("choke") in the carbs and it will be hard to start. Even if your carbs are perfectly tuned, though, if your valves are too tight (especially the intakes), it will be hard to start. That is why proper maintenance is so heavily emphasized.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr. Seanie,

You've been here long enough to know the drill.

After your carbs are clean and properly adjusted, after the valves are properly adjusted, then go through the Stator Papers and make sure your charging system is functioning properly. Make sure you've replaced all of the 30 year old rubber (boots, hoses, tires, etc.) on your bike and clean every electrical connection, including the fuse box, on the entire wiring harness. Do all these things and your bike will love you a good long time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The advise you were given about not giving it any throttle is spot on. It defeats the complete choke circuit. I dont believe this is your problem though. As I read your post, I knew before looking that you were talking about an early 80's GS 750....I had one back in the early 80's that was practically brand new and ran like a top. I experienced the exact same symptoms you described, and frequently had to push start it in the morning. I ended up, out of frustration, getting rid of it....If it didn,t fire right up, the battery got run down to the point I either let it sit and took the car or push started it. I suspect the whole problem lies in the ignition system. My guess would be either doing an ignition relay mod, which is very popular, or getting a Dyna ignition system.......It sucked to have to get rid of a brand new motorcycle because it had inherent problems from the factory. It was a beautiful bike but was cursed at regularly.....Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
            I suspect the whole problem lies in the ignition system. My guess would be either doing an ignition relay mod, which is very popular, or getting a Dyna ignition system.......It sucked to have to get rid of a brand new motorcycle because it had inherent problems from the factory. It was a beautiful bike but was cursed at regularly.....Billy
            Suspect all you want, but the valves will go out of adjustment LONG before the ignition goes bad.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I played with my air fuel screws trying to tweak them a bit the other day and it made the bike not start very well when the bike was warm. the choke helped it start cold but I think I had it to rich that even choke off would not get it to go when it was warm.

I set them all back a bit and still had trouble, but found push starting it to give it enough to get going and has been fine since.

A well adjusted and tuned GS will be a happy starting GS. Dont give up yet but when in doubt park near a hill and pop the clutch

Comment

Thanks to all.

If i dont use the throtle it wont start at all. Choke or no choke.

But you all once again have put me on the right track!

Cheers!

Comment

Its been 20 min... Is the valve cover off yet? By the way, what time is it in Ireland? Just curious...
                  Curt
                  sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

8.20pm! Time to get the kids to bed....bike will have to wait till tomorrow!

Comment

noooooo...its only 3:18 pm here

Comment

A guy i work with thought it was "Flooding", said it could be a petcock fault, getting too much fuel to the plugs etc...

But what yer saying here makes more sence!

Comment

Yes, the petcocks are a common problem.
                          "Flooding", he says! ok try your start technique for a minute; stop, pull two spark plugs out- are they wet?
                          make sure that your choke cable is doing its thing at the carb end- sometimes the linkages loosen up.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

First make sure the petcock is working properly
                            Make sure the battery is fully charged, may be worth while to have it checked even though it is new..
                            I had a 78GS1000 let it set for a few days & it would crank for 5 minutes until the battery was dead, Still a new battery made a difference.
                            Go back and check the voltage at the coils, points must be open to read each side..
                            Re adjust the carbs fuel screw (bottom) 5/8 - 3/4 turn out
                            side air screw 2 turns out.
                            If it still won't start I would give the carbs a very good cleaning, check the float level
                            & check the valves

Comment

Working...
                            X