Ordering New Clutch Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordering New Clutch Cable

I have a 1982 GS1100GK that I bought for 250 back in '07 as an 18 year old straight out of high school. Completely rebuilt and slapped together as I was over eager to ride a motorcycle. Ended up reworking a lot of it to do it right the first time, and now she runs like I still don't believe One final problem, I have gone through 3 clutch cables, one being a motion pro and the others I have no clue. I think the biggest problem I have is that the cables I order are 5 or 6 inches too long, since the previous owner threw out the dorky 80's bicycle style handlebars for more aggressive bars that shorten the distance between the clutch arm and the lever. I saw someone post a while back about where to order custom lengths for clutch cables and that they actually last and work well, but cant find it.

Anyone know where I can order/find a quality cable that will work for a GK that is approximately 49-50 inches? my last cable was 55 inches as an aftermarket piece of junk.

Have you tried using a GS1000S cable? That worked fine for me with Euro bars on my 1000G & fine for Nessism on his 850 with Daytona bars.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Go with OEM Suzuki cables....the aftermarket ones are not as high quality usually, esp. Motion Pro I'm told. Don't know what to think about Barnett cables....they claim to be virtually indestructible (probably to justify the super-high prices). I snagged one on ebay cheap, but haven't tried it yet.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

I have tried the aftermarket and stick with only OEM now. I would find a bike that has the same connection at the engine but lower bars.
        I am not familiar with that engine, however, and I suspect my 16-valve 1100E would be different. Perhaps an 8-valve 1000?

Comment

Thanks for the help, I checked the gs1000s and the cable is 45 inches long, about 4 or 5 inches short. suppose ill have to check other 1100s, an e? maybe an e will be similar with the diff bars..

Comment

Working...
          X