Engine noise on decel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise on decel

Just fishin to see if anyone had any guidance to throw my way.

I have a 1977 GS1000 with about 10,000 miles on it. It has a Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust, stage 1 jet kit and emgo pod filters. Hands down the best bike I have ever owned.

The issue is that it has just begun to make a gravel/ crunching metal noise on deceleration. The noise will generally go away immediately after I pull in the clutch. It doesn't matter what gear it is in the noise is always there when I roll off or chop the throttle.

The sound doesn't occur at idle or during acceleration. If I rev the engine while in neutral the sound does not occur. It seems to only occur when the engine is decelerating under load (engine braking while out riding). Because of this it is hard to determine where the sound is coming from.

My first thought was that it was the cam chain adjuster. I pulled the adjuster and verified that everything was in working order. The tensioner has no mechanical issues that I can see. I reinstalled it by fully compressing it then bolting it up to the engine. When the the set screw was turned 1/4 turn out to allow the tensioner rod to fully extend along the set screw notches the knurled tensioner wheel spun and moved in like it should leading me to believe that it is in working order (this may be incorrect?).

Well the noise is still there and I'm not sure where to go from there. So, if anyone has some ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks everyone in advance! I'm gonna keep pluggin away at it and see what I find.

The bike you have is probably a '78 model as they were not released into the showrooms till February of that year.

I would check the drive sprocket area, rear chain, etc.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. JakeWojo,

Check for a loose nut on the front sprocket. (You thought I was going to say "check for a loose nut on the handlebars", didn't you? )

Have a look at this: Replace seals in cam chain tensioner
      ...and these: Cam Chain Tensioner Repair
      Reset Cam Chain Tensioner

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I guess it has been a while since i last checked on the chain... Tightened it up and the sound went away. Thanks for the Help!!

Comment

Working...
        X