Engine won't engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    to those who haven't checked their splines -- please do so NOW. Do NOT wait for yours to strip out in the middle of some busy intersection. Also keep in mind that the drive spline teeth on the final drive side take a real beating when the driven splines get thin and go blooey. It's well worth getting ahead of this problem ASAP.
    Everybody knows that I don't have any experience wrenching, but I gotta say, pulling the wheel off and getting that hub out was a piece of cake. Especially after reading Basscliff's stuff.

I'm pretty lucky. The splines didn't give while I was actually riding, and I was only five miles away from home, and I had a buddy who was willing and able to come pick me and the bike up.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Originally posted by 1948man View Post
      These splines are the same size, I think. I think the only soft yrs were maybe '82 and '83. '80 should be good.

The wheel probably wouldn't do you any good. You're probably better off searching ebay for 850 stuff because the only yrs they made 1100gl's were '82 and '83. The soft spline yrs.
      Guy selling this wheel seems to be under representing shipping cost. Looks to be a good deal.
      I won. Total cost: $30.13. I'll let you know in a few days how it turns out

Comment

Yay...more crap for me to check this winter...lol

Are these the splines we're supposed to grease every so often or are those on the driveshaft?
        Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
        1979 GS850GN
        sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
        1975-2008

Comment

Those are the important ones. Honda Molypaste 60
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            The driven spline is the same in the 650 shafties, and yes, the 82-83 650G/GL models will have the exact same issue. They might make a few more miles than their torquier and heavier brethren before stripping the splines, but don't forget the 650 is no slouch at all in the power department --
            Yeah but 650 drivers are supposed to be mellow!
            Anyways, I 'll check my 39k spline over the winter- it sounds and turns well!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just so everyone understands in the future....the rear wheel and the spline MUST be completely seperated to inspect the wear. Just pulling the wheel and looking it over is not good enough. The spline must be removed from the wheel so one can see the entire spline.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                Just so everyone understands in the future....the rear wheel and the spline MUST be completely seperated to inspect the wear. Just pulling the wheel and looking it over is not good enough. The spline must be removed from the wheel so one can see the entire spline.
                Good point, as evidenced by my pictures in post #20 of this thread. When that hub was still nestled in the wheel, the splines looked terrific! That is, the ends of the splines looked terrific. When I pulled the hub out, all that was left of the splines is those little ends I had seen. Not good enough!

Comment

I did a search for "Moly 60" to read up on it and I liked the thread I found. And I called a Honda shop about 5 miles away from me and they've got the Honda Moly60 for ten bucks. I went to two auto parts places and they had never heard of moly60. One guy looked it up in a book and is having some delivered, but I'ma go with the Honda place 5 miles away.

from the Old Technical info forum...
                  Originally posted by GSJohn View Post
                  24K on my 81 [when my splines failed...] I have a new tire for it but was hoping to get a couple thousand more miles out of the one that is on there now. I had better have a practice session on removing the rear wheel and inspecting the splines...then try to resist the temptation to put on the new rubber. Did anybody notice anything funny such as clunking or noticeable excessive backlash in the rear drive when up on the centerstand before you discovered the problem? Mine feels fine and makes no noises. It does feel like it has more resistance to freewheeling than I would have thought. [-o<
                  My splines were toast at 24,000 miles, too, and I experienced that funny clunking GSJohn described. Riding along and it suddenly felt like I picked up a rubber marble and let it clunk around inside the wheel for 5-10 seconds and then disappeared. I went to a bike mechanic but he was unable to duplicate the problem.

Comment

So....do you have it all fixed up yet or are you still waiting for your wheel ?
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      So....do you have it all fixed up yet or are you still waiting for your wheel ?
                      waiting on the wheel. FedEx tracking says it might come tomorrow. I hope so because then I don't have to wait til Monday, and what is Sunday afternoon for besides riding (or working on bike)?

Comment

There was a member here that was riding his purchased bike from So Cal to Canada. Lucky we were installing new tires and checked the splines, other wise he would have been stuck in the middle of no where. I just had to pull one out of my extra parts supply
                        and put it in..

Comment

Woohoo, I’m rolling again!

So silver good, black good, gold bad. Honda Moly60.

Coulda bought the brand new silver piece for $142 + S/H
                          But decided to chance it with a wheel (1980 850g) from ebay for $30.

Here’s the wheel after it arrived from FedEx:

How it was packaged:

The necessary part (on the left) and my worn out part (on the right)

Close-up

Back in business. New tire, too, since I needed one and the wheel was off.

And while I was at it I added a sissy bar I got on craigslist for $25.

Happy rolling!

Thanks again to Basscliff for the nice wheel-removal instructions.
                          Last edited by kerrfunk; 09-18-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X