clutch grief!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch grief!!

hi, can anybody tell me why theres only 8 steels and 8 friction plates in my gs 1100 gl 1981/82 suzy?its a usa import, the basket would struggle to hold the said 9 of each plate , which iam told should be the correct amount!! I recently orderd a set of 9 friction plates and the lugs or claws were to big to fit in the basket, i was told of this guy he couldnt match em up after returning his plates with a sample one of mine . Any help would be much appreciated , regards, bazzer

Originally posted by big bazzer View Post
    hi, can anybody tell me why theres only 8 steels and 8 friction plates in my gs 1100 gl 1981/82 suzy?its a usa import, the basket would struggle to hold the said 9 of each plate , which iam told should be the correct amount!! I recently orderd a set of 9 friction plates and the lugs or claws were to big to fit in the basket, i was told of this guy he couldnt match em up after returning his plates with a sample one of mine . Any help would be much appreciated , regards, bazzer
    I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess that someone substituted another clutch basket, maybe from 850 ??? Hopefully, others- more knowledgeable than me - will chime in.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hmm, I don't understand where the drag strip gurus are- they love clutches- your problem should be easily explained by someone familar with this model. Patience
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

An 1100gl isn't exactly drag race material. We are talking L model, shaft drive correct ??.....I would love to help, but all my clutch stuff is at my work. I will try and post Monday or Tuesday......Billy

Comment

Hmmmm... I've spent about 20 minutes fiche diving. It appears that the 1980+ chain and shaft drive 1000 and 1100 models all seem to use 9 plates, with the same part numbers. So that ain't the problem -- at first I thought there may have been a bit of chain/shaft confusion from your parts supplier, but it wouldn't matter.

But... the 850G/GL clutch uses 8 plates with different part numbers than the 1000/1100 bits.

Also, the number of teeth on the clutch basket gear is the same (87) on the 850 as on the 1000G/GL and 1100G/GL. So it's not inconceivable that they would interchange, although I have no idea if anyone has ever tried this, or why they would.

So it sounds like your bike, for whatever strange reason, may be wearing a clutch from an 850.

Or perhaps it's wearing an 850 engine... the shaftie engines interchange with ease, so d'ya think maybe you have a sheep in wolf's clothing...? We'll need some close-ups to tell for sure. I think the clutch cover and valve cover would tell the tale of which engine you have.
          Last edited by bwringer; 09-12-2010, 11:45 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Hmm, I don't understand where the drag strip gurus are- they love clutches- your problem should be easily explained by someone familar with this model. Patience
            i get tired of banging my keyboard..

9 fibers!!!
            8 steels!!!
            will it hold that many?

Comment

check this link..just read through it..
              from 80 up on 1000/1100/1150 models they all took the same parts/plates/basket/hubs(1150 basket by itself) ect..
              fiche don't tell the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                fiche don't tell the whole story.

What! There goes another of my fantasies.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

thanks for all the replys you guys, will be back with some pics soon, bazzer

Comment

OK, I just dragged out all my old clutch plates. The plates for a gs1000 2V motor are bigger in diameter than the 1100 plates. Sounds like they sent you plates for either a GS1000 or possibly 850 plates.....The GS1000 plates measure out at
                    Top of tang to top of tang 6 1/2"
                    o.d. of friction material 6"
                    i.d. of friction material 4 7/8"

GS1100 plates measure
                    Top of tang to top of tang 6 1/4"
                    o.d. of friction material 5 7/16"
                    i.d. of friction material 4 3/4"

Billy

Comment

thanks guys , sussed de problem with clutch!! its got an 850 basket in it

Comment

Originally posted by big bazzer View Post
                        thanks guys , sussed de problem with clutch!! its got an 850 basket in it
                        What! maybe you should seek compensation from previous owner!
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X