1978 GS1000E tach cable issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000E tach cable issue

Trying to remove the tach cable from the engine, the ring that goes around the cable to screw into the housing broke into two pieces leaving me with this. See attached thumbnail.

My question is, how do I get the cable out? Or, should I just buy a new housing for my bike?

I've tried searching some microfiche for a part number and nothing is available for this part. I've tried Google and came up empty as well. I found 74 results searching this forum, but it appears that no one has encountered this particular problem.

If they have, I haven't found it yet.

Any ideas on how to get this cable out?

I don't see the problem. The housing with the tab and seal band on the end holds the gear end, with the small drive blade that drives the tach cable, in the cylinder head. the screw end that you split is part of a new cable. You just have to get the cable end out of the housing, put the housing back in the motor after replacing the seal band, or not if you want to take a chance of seeping some oil, and buy a new tach cable. All the parts are available at Bike Bandit in the cylinder head group. The housing is #26 and about $29.00. The part of the cable on the left that is stuck in the housing has a flat flair at the end that the ring screw you split compresses against a seal. I am surprised it hasn't fallen out. The housing looks fine unless the inside screw threads are chewed up. Put the housing in a vise (gently please) the large part, not the small seal end, not tight enough to turn the aluminum housing into an oval but tight enough to hold it with the cable end up. Vice grips with a crushing grip on the cable end won't hurt anything. Rock the cable end back and forth toward the vise jaws until it comes loose. I still can't imagine why it doesn't just fall out, there is really nothing to hold it in unless it broke with the rest of the retainer screw still in the housing that you don't show in the picture (is that even possible?). The vise will checker up the housing, but it won't be any worse than it already is.
    Last edited by OldVet66; 09-11-2010, 09:28 PM.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Already tried the vice. Used vice grips on the cable end. The cable is permanently stuck in the housing. It appears to have broken in more than 2 pieces because it looks like there is a sliver of metal visible. Not too much money to just get new parts.
      A dealership told me the part is in the cylinder head microfiche. Found a brand new housing on eBay by searching the part number. $10 cheaper including shipping charge.
      Bought brand new speedo and tach cable on ebay for less than the dealer cost of just 1 cable.
      All that I'm buying from the dealership is the seal band and seal for the cable to make sure no oil leaks out.
      I don't think I can save housing. Just more money I'm pouring into this rebuild. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

Comment

Good luck with the cables. I got mine at Bike Bandit. They were very high quality cables with an inner lining. Worth the price in my book.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X