Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine will not turnover

Hi Guys,

This is my first post but I have been hear a while ago and got some excellent help so luckily I remembered the forum.

I have a 83 GS 750 ES I had it running a couple years ago and since then its just been sitting somewhat exposed to the elements under a deck, it has been occasionally started though. Now I can't get the bike started. When the bike is in gear with the clutch engaged the engine won't turn over. However, I can't move the bike either because the rear wheel is locked, so I'm thinking the clutch is the problem here. However when I try to start the bike in neutral it still will not start because the engine won't turn over.

What comes first to mind is that the clutch is just not engaging properly which is not letting the engine turnover. However since it still wont turn over in neutral I'm thinking that the engine may be seized. Especially since the bike can't be pushed in any gear. (I tried 5th gear thinking since that should be easiest to turn over the engine.) I don't even know though, should I be able to push the bike in 5th gear?

I'm really having trouble where to start with this one any suggestions are welcome

Also, is it safe to start and run the bike on a car battery?

Thanks in advance guys and the help last time around

Take off the ignition cover on the right side, put a 19mm wrench on it and try to turn it that way.
    You can jump start it with a car battery, but the car must not be running when doing so, otherwise you can fry the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      Take off the ignition cover on the right side, put a 19mm wrench on it and try to turn it that way.
      You can jump start it with a car battery, but the car must not be running when doing so, otherwise you can fry the wiring.
      Probably a dumb question, but which way should I be turning?

Comment

Turn CLOCKWISE.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks I'll give that a try in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by opasnost View Post
            Hi Guys,

This is my first post but I have been hear a while ago and got some excellent help so luckily I remembered the forum.

I have a 83 GS 750 ES I had it running a couple years ago and since then its just been sitting somewhat exposed to the elements under a deck, it has been occasionally started though. Now I can't get the bike started. However when I try to start the bike in neutral it still will not start because the engine won't turn over.
            Well, does this bike have clutch interlock switch, kickstand safety switch or any other such stuff? In neutral, try jumping the solenoid- this bypasses any switches. Does it crank over?
            Also what enviroment was bike sitting in?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I got the engine to turnover I think the battery was just really weak. However I still can't get the clutch to disengage. Is there any article or troubleshooting thread on the website that would give me a good place to start.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Also what enviroment was bike sitting in?
              I live in Vancouver and the bike was outside under a deck.

Comment

The clutch plates are probably just stuck with sitting. Get the motor warm and try it again. If it won't budge then, just try pulling in the clutch, popping on the back brake and putting it in first gear; might stall a few times but the plates will come unstuck.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. opasnost,

Here is a significant fraction of the sum total of what I've learned from the members here. It's your "mega-welcome". It will guide you down the path to GS bliss if you take no shortcuts.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well, does this bike have clutch interlock switch, kickstand safety switch or any other such stuff?
                    The kickstand switch is not much of a "safety" switch, it only turns on a light somewhere in the gauge panel.

I have not seen any interlocks in any GS that involved that switch.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The kickstand switch is not much of a "safety" switch, it only turns on a light somewhere in the gauge panel.

I have not seen any interlocks in any GS that involved that switch.

That's refreshing to hear! my son's 07 ninja 250 has enough safety devices to prevent riding, which might be a good thing.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That's refreshing to hear! my son's 07 ninja 250 has enough safety devices to prevent riding, which might be a good thing.
                        You think that's bad? I won't even start (pardon the pun) telling you about all the interlocks on my Wing.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          You think that's bad? I won't even start (pardon the pun) telling you about all the interlocks on my Wing.

I grew up on 1970s dirt bikes with no safety features! all kick starters- I love simplicity!
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                          X