Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yet another newb question but curious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another newb question but curious...

Ok.. rode the 750 (77') last night/day. Was stopped on the way home and once on the side stand a bunch of oil/**** dumped out of the side cover.

Pulled the side cover assuming that the primary drive seal was toast. Found a ton of old dirt and oil (an impressive amount) and cleaned it up. Ran the bike and could not find any leaky seals. My thought at this point is that there was a lot of BS collecting under the cover due to all the dirt and it dumped out making me think that there was a bad seal... whatever. Figured I would clean it up and ride it then see if it leaked anywhere.

Ok.. so.. all buttoned up. Bike in gear... Rev the crap out of it and nothing. Nothing.
    No stalling and no forward motion.
    WTF?
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the cover a couple times. Slacked the clutch cable completely on the last try and still had nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts?

worm gear worm gear worm gear

Comment

couple of the shims were out (rubber seal shims) causing the clutch mechanism to be fully engaged. = retard.

Comment

(meaning I am a retard)

Comment

On the leak check the starter o-ring and see if the cam chain tensioner is leaking.
          All this drains into the starter cavity and out a hole by the stator cover.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfab View Post
            (meaning I am a retard)
            10-4
            it happens sometimes.

Comment

Pretty sure that it's the starter o ring.. still only happening erratically.... have a complete oil seal kit on the way so will be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X