GS 1100E Lower Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100E Lower Case

I have an 82 GS1100E and am new to Suzuki motorcycles. The engine runs but has a good size chip on the lower right side of the case at the point where the round cover bolts. This chip also took out most of the threads for one of the cover bolts. It looks like the only way to correct this would be to replace the entire upper half of the case which makes me kind of sick. Any ideas? Also, what is the difference between the GS 1100 & the GS 1100E engine of the same year? The one obvious difference is in the head where the 1100 has the round side covers and the 1100E has the square, but are there other differences? I have a spare 1100 engine with the round covers and if I had to, could I use the lower case for the 1100E? Any help or point me toward the correct manuals, would be appreciated. Thanks JW

They are totally different motors One is chain drive 1100E The 1100G is a shaft drive

Comment

I think the two halves are machined as a pair? correct me if I am wrong, but I think you would need both halves.

Comment

Build a bridge with JB-Weld and tap it for a bolt.
        I have an engine with the same problem and it really isn't one.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

cases are matched pairs/YOU CAN NOT MIX THE HALF'S.
          8 valve and 16 valve are totally different cases.
          if the ignition plate will bolt on solid then the damage your talking about is cosmetic only...correct?
          a picture of the damage would be worth a thousand key strokes.

Comment

Lower Case

The JB weld way sounds good, just hope I can make it look good! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Case

You could always take it to a welding shop, and get them to add aluminum to it. I have a MIG spool gun that I like to use to fix cases. You would have to grind and shape it back where it looks good, and will work. It is more work, but you can make it look great, and it is a professional fix. If you go with epoxy like JB, normally it will work pretty good. Most people haven't been exposed to them, but there are some aircraft epoxies that are certified for structural repairs, that make JB look like crap. The stuff is a tan color, and it is wicked on aluminum.

Comment

definitely gotta get that welded if you want to fix it. the cases are line bored as a pair, and not interchangeable with other cases. this holds true of cylinder heads and their camshaft caps as well.

Comment

did i hear an echo in here here here

Comment

Al u minium

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                    definitely gotta get that welded if you want to fix it. the cases are line bored as a pair, and not interchangeable with other cases. this holds true of cylinder heads and their camshaft caps as well.

Echo........Echo........... And Echo by me 2. I see people trying to bone out bikes for rediclous prices to the max on ebay, trying to sell an upper or lower case half for only $250. It kinda lets you know what they know about what they are selling, and makes me feel for the people who have gotten sucked into this ignorance. Now I dont have a problem with making a buck, but when they practically want your fist born for a common item it sucks. Especially true if it isn't usable.

Comment

Working...
                    X