Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy starter

Hey

I have a GS1000 with a strange starter noise. When cranked over its pretty sluggish and sounds like a crow being strangled soz but thats the best way I can describe it, it will fire up though. Any ideas?

Thanks

Originally posted by slapper View Post
    Hey

I have a GS1000 with a strange starter noise. When cranked over its pretty sluggish and sounds like a crow being strangled soz but thats the best way I can describe it, it will fire up though. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Well, I have never heard a crow being strangled,but my kids made all sorts of horrible noises growing up. Anyways, if you look at a part diagram, you'll see that your bike has a device called a starter clutch. It lets your starter motor spin the motor, but when engine catches, it disengages so the starter motor doesn't spin any more. When these are about to fail, they get noisy to warn you of impending doom. It might still function for a long time, or crap out totally next time you press starter button.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks tom203 i had a funny feeling it was going to be that as i know they are prone to go but wanted to be a bit more sure. Thanks

Comment

That happened to me and I found a crow stuck between the rear wheel and fender. I kind of like it.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

re

It brings back fond memory's when I was a kid choking crows in the barn, I wish I could hear it just one more time. But seriously, be sure the battery is good and has a full charge, then clean all the electrical connections, and see if that helps. Starters can do strange things when they are starving for amperage. A lot of times worn down brushes can make the starter weak, and make strange noises. I never really choked any crows, because my dad told me if I killed it I had to eat it, but I killed lots of starters through the years. You could pop it open and check the brushes if the connections are not the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X