Starting my engine overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my engine overhaul

So i'm working on gathering information up to start my engine overhaul. I have a 1980 GS850GL. Leaks oil like something else. Also going to add a engine guard and highway pegs while i have it apart. Anyone have any specific advice i should know before i get started? I download the manuals and such but first hand experience is always better. Thanks

Jon

Why are you tearing it down ? To fix the leaks ? Where are they ? Is it running well now except for the leaking ?

I'd put in new valve stem seals, new piston rings along with a light honing of the cylinders and of course new base and head gaskets. While you have it apart, clean, clean, clean anything and everything you can get to and maybe spruce up the engine with some painting.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

How many miles do you have on it? My bike is pushing 88k now and it really isn't in need of an overhaul yet. It burns oil through the valve guides and maybe a little past the rings, but I'm not even sure that's the case, it might just be the guides. If it's just oil leakage that can be fixed without an overhaul, that's just gaskets.

Comment

Use quality gaskets, OEM seem to be preferred here. Do not use any gasket sealer, it is not needed and makes future work a pain.
        I bag and label my bolts/screws using sandwich bags or larger freezer bags. Keeps it organized and makes it easier to find the parts when I go back together with it.

Comment

Mainly i'm just going to be doing new gaskets through the whole thing unless i find damage that i'm not aware of.

Lets see where it leaks, head gasket, cam gasket, end of the cam shafts, bottom end of motor, around bolts on top of the heads, where the tach cable goes in.

Bike has around 22000 on it now. Runs good and starts up quickley. Just dont want keep having to put oil in it just because it is leaking out when i'm riding. also my wife is complaining about cleaning the oil out of my jeans.

Jon

Comment

Where is it leaking from? maybe the tach cable? if it's just something simple like that, then keep it together and just fix the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by JonC03 View Post
              Mainly i'm just going to be doing new gaskets through the whole thing unless i find damage that i'm not aware of.

Lets see where it leaks, head gasket, cam gasket, end of the cam shafts, bottom end of motor, around bolts on top of the heads, where the tach cable goes in.

Bike has around 22000 on it now. Runs good and starts up quickley. Just dont want keep having to put oil in it just because it is leaking out when i'm riding. also my wife is complaining about cleaning the oil out of my jeans.

Jon
              That's an unusual amount of leaks for an 8V motor with 22K on it

I'd also be checking the flatness of the head and cylinders and inspecting everything very carefully where ever it is leaking
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
              X