clicking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clicking sound

The bike makes a clicking sound when going at slow speeds. And especially in the lower gears although that might be coincidental to the speed. Is this common?

What bike?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Clicking or ticking?

It may be your valves that are in need of adjustment. How many miles on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        What bike?
        It must be that 81 850g that he got a deal on!
        Let's hope this noise is not coming from the shaft drive or that dreaded spline that has caused many sleepless nights.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yea its the 81 GS850. And I guess it could be a ticking. The bike drives beautifully but that sound, it makes me a bit paranoid. This might be arbitrary but it seems that if I shift too high too soon the sound is very prevalent. This might be caused by inexperience on street bikes.

Comment

Where's it coming from ? I had a clicking from the rear once which turned out to be a bent chainguard catching the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by CARMINEOWEN View Post
              The bike makes a clicking sound when going at slow speeds. And especially in the lower gears although that might be coincidental to the speed. Is this common?
              Look thru this forum for posts by kerpluk (?) - what's your mileage?

( that should be kerrfunk- sorry, it was his drive that went kerpluk)
              Last edited by tom203; 09-18-2010, 09:08 AM.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Its coming from the rear break lever is, at least in that vicinity. its also shaft driven.

Comment

Originally posted by CARMINEOWEN View Post
                  Its coming from the rear break lever is, at least in that vicinity. its also shaft driven.
                  Put bike on centerstand in neutral- spin rear tire, any brake disc noises?
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Hi,

Check the rear brake caliper area. How are the pads?

Have you changed the gear oil in the final drive unit lately? Have you taken off the rear wheel and had a good look at the rear spline gears? You may need new wheel bearings. How many miles on the bike? How has it been stored?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I've had the bike for just a short period of time now. It has 33200 on it. I'm not sure how it. Was stored previously. I checked the final drive fluid and it seems very clear and up to level. Rear breaks are fine. Moreover I took the bike out all day yesterday and it seemed that the warmer the bike got the less that noise made an appearance, which leads me to think it might be the final drive? As it would take longer to warm up than the rest of the mechanisms.... One more thing, I haven't and am not sure on how to check the secondary oil?..

Thanks once again..

Comment

Working...
                      X