GS1100 Shifting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Shifting problem

I have a 1980 Suzuki GS1100 dragbike (stock motor, slick, wheelie bar).
    I just swapped the transmission over out of another bike. I am having trouble with the shifter not coming back to center when upshifting and on the throttle (a little or a lot of throttle, it does not matter).
    This mainly seems to happen in 3rd and 4th gear. As soon as you back off the throttle, the shifter goes back to center. The trans is in good shape and upshifts/downshifts fine. The shift forks and fork shafts are good also. I do not see any problems with the shift pawl/ shifter mechanism. The shift shaft was just replaced also along with the spring.
    Any thoughts?

Very unusual symptom you have there. I would recommend pulling the clutch basket and check for any contact between the basket and the shifter pawl and or shift shaft. Are you using an air shifter ??? If so, try removing the air cylinder from the shift shaft and foot shift it and see if the problem is gone.....Billy

Comment

Thanks for the reply Billy, I think I figured it out. It looks like I had the pawls reversed in the shift drum causing them to bind slightly against the drum. I put them back in the right place and hope to test it out soon. I did disconnect the air shifter completely and had the same problem.

Comment

Hey cool...hope that got it straightened out....What kind of times are you turning ?? Where do you race ??....Billy

Comment

The bike is running in the mid 11's right now (i'm not a little guy), I race at Firebird just outside of Boise Idaho. I used to run the same set up in the early 90's, ran in the 10.7's at this elevation (and a lighter rider at the time too ).

Comment

Working...
          X