Engine swap tips and pointers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap tips and pointers.

I'm considering picking up a local 1993 Suzuki Katana 750. I want to put the engine in my 1981 GS750E. Mounts will have to be fabricated...this is not an issue.

I'm wondering if there are any other things I need to keep in mind with this particular motor? Are their known mechanical gremlins or anything? How much smaller than the GS750 engine is the Kat motor? Will I be still be able to route the exhaust through the front down tubes?

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For the record, I'm considering the Kat 750 lump because it has the power I want and it's available...a full titled bike...for a good price. I can recoup my investment easily. If I were going out to buy a motor I would be looking for something different.

i have had 2...YES TWO of these 750 kats come to me over the years with a shattered output shaft bearings...
    one was dead stock and the owner was a back pack rider.
    the other had a pipe and was beat on daily.
    don't ask me how or why..one bike from Ohio...one bike from Indianapolis with about 4 years between repairs.
    both was 1989's....go figure.

Comment

Are the 1989 motors the same as the 1993 motors?

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
        Are the 1989 motors the same as the 1993 motors?
        yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Comment

But the later models, like your 93, don't seem to have as much trouble with the transmissions as the earlier ones did. This is from my experience with them anyway. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            But the later models, like your 93, don't seem to have as much trouble with the transmissions as the earlier ones did. This is from my experience with them anyway. Ray.
            ray,
            am i not the only one to see these shattered bearings on the 89 750 kat?

Comment

I've fixed 4 or 5 of them too, Terry. 88s & 89s. Ray.

Comment

bump....just to see if there are any other concerns.

Comment

A 16 valve 1100 motor goes in MUCH easier & is WAAAYYYY more fun!!! Ray.

Comment

I can get the Kat 750 bike for $500. I've looked into a 16v 1100 and would like to do that...but the motors are more scarce, older (higher wear), and I won't have a whole bike to part out to recoup my investment.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      A 16 valve 1100 motor goes in MUCH easier & is WAAAYYYY more fun!!! Ray.
                      *nodding my head*

Loving mine these days

Definitely getting scarce but still out there, understand the cost factor for sure.

GL-
                      Ron

Comment

+1 on the 1100 motor, it's about right in a 750.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Finding an 1100 motor in my budget is a problem, though. None near me.

The Katana 750 was just up the road, though, and it's actually in pretty good shape. By the time I'm done breaking it I'll have my 100hp, a little more torque, and come up $500 more than I started with.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                            Finding an 1100 motor in my budget is a problem, though. None near me.

The Katana 750 was just up the road, though, and it's actually in pretty good shape. By the time I'm done breaking it I'll have my 100hp, a little more torque, and come up $500 more than I started with.
                            I know you chose the best option for you, I just got lucky
                            My first choice was the 750, and still would be if I had to buy one.

GL on your build-
                            Ron

Comment

Working...
                            X