No announcement yet.

Transmission/Drivetrain issues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good, I'll pm you my phone number just in case He did.

have you checked out this thread? http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=166583
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi all.
      I just recently found the GS Resources website and I'm very glad I did.
      I have an '88 GS850G.
      The same happened to me last week as you Bluedawgie.

My rear wheel locked up whilst I was travelling at approx. 25mph. I had to drag it off the road by myself which was bloody tough to say the least!
      I can still shift gears down, neutral and up, Motor turns over and starts as it should though the rear wheel is locked up.
      I removed the clutch, no probs there. So I must be suffering the same problem as you Bluedawige. Which makes me ask the question, Is this a common fault with these bikes after 30 years??

Ill be following these posts and attempting it on my bike, though a few steps behind of course.

Comment

Originally posted by watevs View Post
        Hi all.
        I just recently found the GS Resources website and I'm very glad I did.
        I have an '88 GS850G.
        The same happened to me last week as you Bluedawgie.

My rear wheel locked up whilst I was travelling at approx. 25mph. I had to drag it off the road by myself which was bloody tough to say the least!
        I can still shift gears down, neutral and up, Motor turns over and starts as it should though the rear wheel is locked up.
        I removed the clutch, no probs there. So I must be suffering the same problem as you Bluedawige. Which makes me ask the question, Is this a common fault with these bikes after 30 years??

Ill be following these posts and attempting it on my bike, though a few steps behind of course.
        Welcome to the forum. This problem might be poor maintenance on this part of the drive. Maybe some folks haven't bothered to check/change oil in secondary gearbox; others have failed to keep the rear wheel hub/spline lubed.
        Tell us about your bike; mileage, how long you had it, etc
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Welcome to the forum. This problem might be poor maintenance on this part of the drive. Maybe some folks haven't bothered to check/change oil in secondary gearbox; others have failed to keep the rear wheel hub/spline lubed.
          Tell us about your bike; mileage, how long you had it, etc
          1988 GS850G,
          Ive had the bike since May 2009.
          Had about 25000 miles on the clock then, Now has 34000 on the clock.
          I had to replace the speedo after a car driver knocked me off my bike in January 2010, hence to big rise in Milage!!
          I had to replace the entire front end except the shocks. So have some experience on the front end and wiring as whoever owned the bike before me made a huge mess of the wiring!
          Apart from that my knowledge is quite limited. Have read many books on motorcycle engines. But only so much you can learn from a book.
          Learnt to ride on a GN250 back in the day

Like most folks I do oil changes etc myself to save money but apart from the main oil I have never checked or changed any other oil on the bike.
          I was unaware!
          Live and learn................

I have a manual somewhere, just moved house recently so not sure what box it is in!

Any suggections/tips will be greatly apporeciated.

Comment

Lots of folks with 850's here- you'll get plenty of good advice. Any pics?- I don't think they sold 1988 versions here, but others will chime in. Follow link to Basscliffs site- it will bury you with good info.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hey Whatevs.....welcome to the GS forum. I'm finding a lotta great help here. Sounds like you may have had the same problem I have. I don't know how long I ran it like that....being that I trusted my mechanic to give me a full check on everything to make sure it was road worthy.
              I'm not really sure what kind of damage has been done yet, as I'm working my way up from the final drive to the secondary gear. I've been working 12 hour days, some my time has been very limited as of yet. I can tell you where the oil fill and drain port is, if you want to check the oil. Jeff the bassist has some great photos on his site, that is really where I learned where the secondary gear fill/drain holes are.

Comment

Well, I'm still out here...lol. Haven't got the chance to do any more on my bike as of yet. I was looking on Craigslist for perhaps a "parts" bike, if I needed them. Man, about a half dozen on there for a fairly decent price.
                Not going that route yet, but just looking to see what's out there.
                Incidentally, that brings to mind a question. I think I know the answer, but maybe someone can shed some more authoritative light on this.
                What's the big deal about matching numbers? Is this just for show/contest puposes. I mean, it seems kinda funny you might have matching numbers, but a lot of the internals could be swapped from different bikes.

Comment

Working...
                X