Can't find neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find neutral

I just bought an 82 GS450L for my wife. Runs great and everything except I can't find Neutral - sort of. I ride it around and it runs fine, goes through the gears fine.

When I stop I can't shift up from 1st to N or 2 or anything. If I hold the clutch, reach down and yank the gear shift it'll pop into N (sometimes 2nd), but I can't shift up with my foot.

If I stop and go again, it shifts just fine.

Here's a twist. If I shut it off but leave the ignition on, I can pull in the clutch and it shifts to N just fine.

Does that sound like an issue with the clutch or with the gear shift (internal, not the foot shifter part).

its bewteen 1st and second hahahaha
    omg now is that not funny
    nay that is family guy funny I am writing this to them.

I too have trouble finding neutral sometimes.
    Generally ont he road its not an issue because neutral is a lame place to be in traffic.

is your gear shift lever binding in anyway?
    does you clutch engage smoothly in all gears?

Comment

sounds like the clutch cable needs to have a little slack taken out. this sounds like the clutch is never disengaged completely, which keeps tension on the gears, making it hard to do until you shut the motor down.

while you're at it, make sure the cable itself isnt sticky or fraying. it should have a nice light and smooth pull when hooked up to the motor.

also, I consider it routine maintenance every other oil change or so, lubricate the cable with cable or chain lube to KEEP it functioning smoothly.

Comment

Now that you mention it, the clutch is a little funny. not quite as funny as Jeeprusty there, but funny just the same.

When letting it out in 1st it does stick a bit then lets go kind quickly and if you're not paying attention and feathering the clutch you'll take off like a shot.

I'll be that's the problem.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
          Now that you mention it, the clutch is a little funny. not quite as funny as Jeeprusty there, but funny just the same.

When letting it out in 1st it does stick a bit then lets go kind quickly and if you're not paying attention and feathering the clutch you'll take off like a shot.

I'll be that's the problem.

Thanks

Jim

my clutch is almost at its service limits and still engages smoothly and progressively. It should not be dumping like that

lubrication of the cable is an easy forst thing to try.
          I use a ballon filled with cheap motor oil but I am cheap.

Comment

you have an internally frayed cable I think. time to buy a new cable and lube the crap out of it before you put it on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
              John 3:16

Comment

Here's what I noticed. You can shift into neutral much easier while you are moving. It is very hard to get it into neutral when you're at a stand still and the engine is running. But yeah, if the engine is turned off, it's a little easier to get into neutral compared to running engine. Go ahead and try getting into neutral while moving.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                  you have an internally frayed cable I think. time to buy a new cable and lube the crap out of it before you put it on the bike.
                  Yep, new cable- maybe 15 bucks, little adjusting and problem solved!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Chainsaw - that was the next thing I was going to try but by the time I wrote this post I had packed it in for the night. I'll try that tonight when I get home, but in any event it sounds like a new cable is in order.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Jim

Comment

About the jumping when you let out the clutch: take the clutch adjuster cover off, look at the pushrod that goes through the engine/transmission.
                      If there is crud around the shaft, it can bind up when you pull the clutch lever, which pushes that rod IN.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was going to suggest the same thing as Flaming Chainsaw -- select neutral while still moving, once you come to a standstill with the motor running it is much harder to select neutral.

Also I found when riding my 550 I too had trouble finding neutral and found the cam stopper spring which forces the detent into a recess on the shift drum when neutral is selected was the incorrect one.

See this link:

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Comment

Well I was able to find neutral when rolling but it was really touchy on the gear shift to do it. It'd go from 1-2-1-2-N but I was able to do it. I still think I need a new cable though since I still have that touchy spot when letting it out.

Plus, with those stupid rams head handlebars being as small as they are, trying to feather the clutch while slowly turning left is a bitch. Hurts my hands. Not used to the bars being so small. The bars on my 850 are like horns on a Texas Long Horn!! LOL

Comment

Just went through this with a 1100E and , well Russell's, broke the cable on the Moosehead run , well when we got home I ordered a new cable , put it on and itjust wouldn't go into neutral very well so I pulled the clutch and the clutch basket was worn where the discs ride and were hanging the clutch , replaced the basket all better. Also have had in the past on other bikes different oils sometimes make a difference
                            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Since it is getting colder, it is hard to find neutral on my 650E, as soon it is warm everything return to normal. I guess that cold oil make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X