Can't find neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
    Now that you mention it, the clutch is a little funny. not quite as funny as Jeeprusty there, but funny just the same.

When letting it out in 1st it does stick a bit then lets go kind quickly and if you're not paying attention and feathering the clutch you'll take off like a shot.

I'll be that's the problem.

Thanks

Jim
    A warped steel driven plate(s) in your clutch will make your clutch behave like this, and also cause difficult "neutral finds"

Comment

So maybe I should also consider a new clutch? I guess even if it's not the problem, at least I'll know it's a new clutch and can't be the problem. What's it gonna hurt to replace it, right?

Comment

well, I'd start with the cable first, since that isnt an invasive, procedure and its like $15.

then if the issue persists, focus on the other potential causes. but start by eliminating the simple issues, then move to the more serious ones.

Comment

My money is on the internal parts... gummed up or maybe just not properly in line with each other... pull the clutch apart and put it back together... it is an easy task.

Comment

My money is on the internal parts... if the cable fix doesn't work then the clutch is probably gummed up or maybe just not properly installed or out of line with itself. Maybe a plate or steel is disfigured... pull the clutch apart and put it back together... it is an easy task if you have the basic tools.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, Stan!! Thanks guys!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
                Sounds like a plan, Stan!! Thanks guys!!

Jim
                That just said, I was fooling around with my idle yesterday because when I was switching from neutral to first I'd get a bit of a "clack" and jolt from the transmission... there is a "sweet spot" in the revs where when I switch to first all that happens is a "click" and it's almost like it didn't get into first but when I disengage the clutch... off we go (around 1200 - 1250 on my tach)!

These bikes are adjustable in so many ways...

Comment

Working...
                X