Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Have to Hold the Clutch to Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Have to Hold the Clutch to Start?

Hey guys. I just bought an 82 GS450L for my wife. The bike won't start unless the clutch is pulled in, no matter if it's in gear or Neutral. Is there something wrong with this bike or is this a feature of this bike? My GS850 doesn't do this, nor any other bike I've seen. I'm not familiar with the GS450 at all, so I'm not certain what's what here.

Also, see my other post abuot not finding Neutral. maybe these problems are related?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
    Hey guys. I just bought an 82 GS450L for my wife. The bike won't start unless the clutch is pulled in, no matter if it's in gear or Neutral. Is there something wrong with this bike or is this a feature of this bike? My GS850 doesn't do this, nor any other bike I've seen. I'm not familiar with the GS450 at all, so I'm not certain what's what here.

Also, see my other post abuot not finding Neutral. maybe these problems are related?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
    it probably has a starter interlock switch

you should be able to see it under the lever if there is one.

Mine has one and its wearing out so I have to pull up and back on the lever.

You could remove it by bypassing it in the headlight bucket where the leads attach but I would not so so.

Grinding a starter mechanism into a running engine may not be bad on a bike but it cant be good.

Comment

My bike is like that. Only bike I've ever owned, so I didn't think much of it. Most cars with a manual trans have this feature nowadays. I thought it odd on an older machine, but I just squeeze the clutch to start it.

Comment

I've had only one or two other bikes with this feature. the GS I will eventually get has it. an odd feature for 1978.

Comment

Its a "safety feature" designed to assure that you dont start the bike "in gear"....of course only a retard would start a bike in gear without the clutch pulled in. Frankly, I find the whole design particularly annoying when trying to work on the bike, esspecially when I have my two hands doing other things... I disable it by pulling the headlamp, disconnecting the yellow/green wire from the harness (one female and one male end) and plugging the harness back into itself. Thus the switch is always "closed" as far as the bike knows...

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Grinding a starter mechanism into a running engine may not be bad on a bike but it cant be good.
            I am trying to figure out what this has to do with a neutral safety switch.

Engaging the starter while the engine is running will have the same results, whether the clutch is pulled or not.

Oh, because of the type of starter clutch that is used on our bikes, there is virtually no chance of damage if you do hit the starter while the engine is running.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I am trying to figure out what this has to do with a neutral safety switch.

Engaging the starter while the engine is running will have the same results, whether the clutch is pulled or not.

Oh, because of the type of starter clutch that is used on our bikes, there is virtually no chance of damage if you do hit the starter while the engine is running.

i cant imagine rolling the starter at an engine running speed could do it any good.

but if its there as a safety for the rider issue it should not be removed.

Comment

i cant imagine rolling the starter at an engine running speed could do it any good.

Youre talking about TWO different things... The neutral safety switch requires that the clutch is pulled in before the starter will turn over... Disabling the switch will not cause the starter to spin at any point (unless of course you wired it up wrong ) unless you hit the start button to start the bike. Its a pretty simple elimination, and no ill effects (other than if you're an idiot and start the bike in gear with the clutch out) will be had from doing it.

Its not that much different than the more modern switches that wont allow the bike to start with the side stand down...now THAT is a safety measure I can agree with..

As far as rolling the starter with the bike running.. No damage. The GS uses a sprague clutch to turn the crank. After the crank reaches a certain speed, the clutch is no longer engaged. Hitting the starter button simply spins the gears against nothing at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Youre talking about TWO different things... The neutral safety switch requires that the clutch is pulled in before the starter will turn over... Disabling the switch will not cause the starter to spin at any point (unless of course you wired it up wrong ) unless you hit the start button to start the bike. Its a pretty simple elimination, and no ill effects (other than if you're an idiot and start the bike in gear with the clutch out) will be had from doing it.

Its not that much different than the more modern switches that wont allow the bike to start with the side stand down...now THAT is a safety measure I can agree with..

As far as rolling the starter with the bike running.. No damage. The GS uses a sprague clutch to turn the crank. After the crank reaches a certain speed, the clutch is no longer engaged. Hitting the starter button simply spins the gears against nothing at that point.

most elucidating thanks

Comment

it doesnt do it any harm
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Trust me, hitting the starter button at speed yesterday made sure I kept myself going after it stalled on me one time during my ride. I was just surprised I thought to do it instead of just letting the bike stop first.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If the bike stalls out on you when riding, its usually with the clutch pulled in and the ideal being to low. I just let the clutch back out and the engine will fire right back up, basically bump starting it but at a much higher speed.

Comment

I'm with you Josh. Thanks Buddy!!

Jim

Comment

If you do disable it, MAKE SURE you hook it back up again before you sell the bike! You don't want some clown suing you because you've disabled a safety feature! Highly unlikely, but he, you can't be too careful these days....
                            Kevin
                            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                            X