Gears Dissapearing into the Black Hole At Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears Dissapearing into the Black Hole At Times

Hey guys I looked around i couldnt find someone with my problem, Well basically i dont know how many miles my bike has because someone swapped out the speedo, and ocasionally when im shifting 4th into 5th really lightly the bike goes into neutral! and i have to jam it up because its just floating around... Happened once a long time ago then again yesterday on the highway and then when i was leaving my house while i was shifting at like 3k rpms... Only happens when i shift the lever really lightly.. Now i make sure i go all the way up but still... could this be a tell-tale sign of my bike reaching like over 60k miles or something? i dont want to be on the highway and have my gears/tires lock up or something...
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

I think its a sign of lazy shifting more than anything really.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
      I think its a sign of lazy shifting more than anything really.
      probably but its a little nerve racking when im on the highway and the bike just gets lost into neutral while im trying to shift to 5th
      Originally posted by tkent02
      That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
      John 3:16

Comment

most of the time,stuff like this is user error more than mechanical error.

Comment

Total user error. Most GSes will not react well to lazy shifts between 1-2 and 4-5...especially when they're all lathered up Smooth, purposeful shifts. When the tranny dogs start to go, they'll kick it out of gear more than not find gear. Plus, most GSes will also get a bit clunky shifting when they're trying to tell you to change yer bloody oil!

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
            Hey guys I looked around i couldnt find someone with my problem, Well basically i dont know how many miles my bike has because someone swapped out the speedo, and ocasionally when im shifting 4th into 5th really lightly the bike goes into neutral! and i have to jam it up because its just floating around... Happened once a long time ago then again yesterday on the highway and then when i was leaving my house while i was shifting at like 3k rpms... Only happens when i shift the lever really lightly.. Now i make sure i go all the way up but still... could this be a tell-tale sign of my bike reaching like over 60k miles or something? i dont want to be on the highway and have my gears/tires lock up or something...
            I had this same problem when I shift at too low an rpm, so I think the cafekid and bobthe biker are right on. I've been away from bikes for a long while and it takes time to get back in correct shifting form. I think you'll adjust real soon.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X