KUNG-FU grip clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUNG-FU grip clutch

My '78 GS750 has a super stiff clutch. Friction point and clutch engagement seem fine and smooth, it just takes a hefty grab to move the lever.

The adjustments in Clymers seem aimed at placing the friction point, etc. Before I end up with a lopsided Popeye arm, will a simple cable adjustment help this? Or is the issue a tight spring at the end?

Mister Cinders

How long have you had the bike? Is this something that has just started or has the clutch been difficult all along?

Could be something simple like needing to lube the cable or replace the cable. If it has been that way since you have had the bike, the PO may have installed some heavy duty springs.

Comment

I agree with the former... If you have all heavy duty springs it will be Popeye time... use half stock and half heavy duty if you need it.
      Curt
      sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

I'd start with the simple. get a spare clutch cable and have it lubed an ready to put on, then take yours off, let some sort of solvent soak through it overnight to clean the dirt out and then feed some good cable lube through it. if that doesnt help smooth out the clutch response, you simply need a new cable.

otherwise, popeye the sailor man it is.

Comment

New Clutch Springs

Just got in the mail the other day some new clutch springs, I put in New fibers last year and like a (I new better) idiot I did not put springs in. It worked great but I just noticed a little slipage on the upper gears or when you power shift... The bad part is when I was getting ready to replace the springs I noticed they only sent me 4 !! My basket has 6 !! I know I can just put in the 4 and should have no problems but I believed I paid for 6 or not !! LRG Lytle Racing Group on E-Bay is where I got them EBC's P/N CSK 115 only $14.98 shipped.. I just tried to call them,, no answer so far.

I just went on to bike barn and looked up my bike and again it shows this same part number !! Only four springs.. Am I loosing it.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
            My '78 GS750 has a super stiff clutch. Friction point and clutch engagement seem fine and smooth, it just takes a hefty grab to move the lever.

The adjustments in Clymers seem aimed at placing the friction point, etc. Before I end up with a lopsided Popeye arm, will a simple cable adjustment help this? Or is the issue a tight spring at the end?

Mister Cinders
            If lubing the cable doesn't give some relief, you most likely have heavy duty clutch springs....not really needed, esp. on a stock bike. OEM springs are cheap...get a set & swap them all out, or stagger them using 3 each OEM/HD.
            All HD springs will be a pain in city traffic & also lead to high cable mortality.
            '82 GS1100E

Comment

The clutch has been like this since I got the bike. I think the PO put a new cable in. Will check into some basic lube work on it.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkt-Rch View Post
                Just got in the mail the other day some new clutch springs, I put in New fibers last year and like a (I new better) idiot I did not put springs in. It worked great but I just noticed a little slipage on the upper gears or when you power shift... The bad part is when I was getting ready to replace the springs I noticed they only sent me 4 !! My basket has 6 !! I know I can just put in the 4 and should have no problems but I believed I paid for 6 or not !! LRG Lytle Racing Group on E-Bay is where I got them EBC's P/N CSK 115 only $14.98 shipped.. I just tried to call them,, no answer so far.

I just went on to bike barn and looked up my bike and again it shows this same part number !! Only four springs.. Am I loosing it.
                Not sure... but I got mine from the dealer for like $8 for all 6 suzuki genuine springs.

Comment

Well I just put in my NEW clutch springs yesterday and all I can say is WOW what a difference.... The motor feels like a complete responsive race machine !!! LOL There were only 4 when I opened it up, must be my short term memory loss thing.. Or the picture (Manual) I was looking at. Any way I would just like to reinforce to ALWAYS put new clutch springs in when changing out your fibers or ?? They were EBC's and I havent noticed a big difference in the clutch lever presure!

I actually did a extremly easy rear tire smoke test...And it passed !! My 10yr old son got a kick out of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X