Generator cover oil leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator cover oil leak.

I cannot seem to stop an oil leak from the lower part of the alternator cover on my GSX750ES. The surfaces seem OK and I have used up 2 new gaskets + compound but it still leaks. The leak isnt that bad but some oil gets on the boot after a decent run.

Does anyone know how many lugs is that what you call then - a little steel tube used as a locator for the cover?) used for this cover? I ask as there is only one in the top left corner but there seems provision in the crank case for 2 more but they arnt there? The cover was obviously replace by a previous owner and I'm wondering if something was left out. Thanks.

Pictures please!

Comment

They only have one locating dowel, the other locater is the starter gear shaft. I had a leak in mine when I got it, seems someone welded up a hole in it then painted it, but it still leaked a bit, so I covered it with JB weld. Ended up getting a new cover

Comment

you can really chase your tail thinking you haver a stator cover leak and it is actually the starter o-ring.

I struggled with mine till I finally got it fixed.

You can try at first to just remove the carbs and starter and replace the oring being very careful to not cut it whe installing use grease to keep from doing that. With the carbs off you can more easily push the starter in straight.

If that doesn work, then I also coated the in side of the case with Ulta Black ( a ring around the starter gear on the inside of the case. the o-ring will not leak that way; make sure the inside isvery clean. I made one continuous rind that was captured on the gear.

The next thing is to make sure the oil can not come out past the rubber gromette that the stator wires pass through more ulta black aroundthis area will stop it. I filled the outside cavity with breather wire mesh, put gasket materil around it and coated with Ultra Black.

Also make sure thsat the stator cover is flat. I used a fine flat file to go over and insure the surface was flat.

Also make sure the leaks are not coming from under your countershaft cover. That is where the oild from the starter cavity will escape from but come back to look like it is the bottom of the stator cover that is leaking

Comment

I would check and make sure it is not from the mystery hole. Or re Starter cavity drain. Should be two locating dowels

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            you can really chase your tail thinking you haver a stator cover leak and it is actually the starter o-ring.

I struggled with mine till I finally got it fixed.

You can try at first to just remove the carbs and starter and replace the oring being very careful to not cut it whe installing use grease to keep from doing that. With the carbs off you can more easily push the starter in straight.

If that doesn work, then I also coated the in side of the case with Ulta Black ( a ring around the starter gear on the inside of the case. the o-ring will not leak that way; make sure the inside isvery clean. I made one continuous rind that was captured on the gear.

The next thing is to make sure the oil can not come out past the rubber gromette that the stator wires pass through more ulta black aroundthis area will stop it. I filled the outside cavity with breather wire mesh, put gasket materil around it and coated with Ultra Black.

Also make sure thsat the stator cover is flat. I used a fine flat file to go over and insure the surface was flat.

Also make sure the leaks are not coming from under your countershaft cover. That is where the oild from the starter cavity will escape from but come back to look like it is the bottom of the stator cover that is leaking
            Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            I would check and make sure it is not from the mystery hole. Or re Starter cavity drain. Should be two locating dowels
            Are you paying attention?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Some times oil inside the engine gets between the crankcase half's and then runs down one of the bolts and out. Thought my 850 had a stator cover leak and it turned out to be this. Fixed it with a copper washer under the bolt.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by XTlegend View Post
                I cannot seem to stop an oil leak from the lower part of the alternator cover on my GSX750ES. The surfaces seem OK and I have used up 2 new gaskets + compound but it still leaks.
                Since it appears to be down low-where there's a depth of oil- I bet you weren't fussy enough cleaning old gunk off stator cover. Use a scrapper carefully, especially around holes. I just put a tacky sealer on cover side only, let it sit briefly and then installed, making sure that gasket did not shift. Use a mirror, if you don't like lying down!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for all your answers - its a newish cover and I did make sure the surfaces were free of old gaket etc. Anyway, I'll look into your suggestions. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by XTlegend View Post
                    Thanks for all your answers - its a newish cover and I did make sure the surfaces were free of old gaket etc. Anyway, I'll look into your suggestions. Cheers.
                    "newish " ?, as in from another bike? maybe it was damaged ( slightly bent). If it is previously used, check cover by putting it on sheet of glass-the locating tube will have to overhang the edge- and admire it's flatness.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      "newish " ?, as in from another bike? maybe it was damaged ( slightly bent). If it is previously used, check cover by putting it on sheet of glass-the locating tube will have to overhang the edge- and admire it's flatness.
                      The cover looks brand new and must have been bought and fitter by a previous owner - the bike has obviously been down on its LH side as there are marks on the faring etc so my guess is that the original cover was damaged beyond repair. There is no damage to the casing though.

Comment

Working...
                      X