Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siezed Engine

Hey all

Last night as i was riding with my wife bike just stopped i was going aboout 25-30 mph in 3rd just cruising on the streets pulled the clutch and rolled on the side of the road. today i took off ignition cover and tried to rotate engine, it only moved about 1/4 of a turn and then it stops no clunks grinding noise of any kind. took valve cover off and chain is nice and tight. no broken lifters or anything. im a pretty much noob at all of this so where should i start. do i pull the engine or there is something i can do before that? Thanks you all in advance for the input
    bike is 1982 750E

How much oil is in the engine?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

first thing i did today was drain old and put in new, old oil was about 2.7.5 liters but i didnt remove the filter so i'd say it was bit low all together maybe 2.9-3 liters instead of 3.2

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
        first thing i did today was drain old and put in new, old oil was about 2.7.5 liters but i didnt remove the filter so i'd say it was bit low all together maybe 2.9-3 liters instead of 3.2
        That's plenty, lack of oil is not the problem. Any chunks or metal come out with the old oil? Pull the paper out of the oil filter, look for metal particles/chunks. Pop the clutch cover off yet? Maybe you can get an idea what's wrong from looking there. Next try the valve cover. You will find something somewhere.

Comment

thanks will pull the clutch cover then oil was quite dirty even sludgy i'd say but that is expected as it is the first oil in it after sitting for a year, but there was no shaving of any kind. oil had about 400 miles on it and i wanted it to replace today but not under these conditions lol. clutch works by the way gears shift without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            How much oil is in the engine?
            Love the approach. Go for the obvious.
            Yet it surprises me how many times this is the problem, but from the sounds of it, this bike wasn't low enough on oil to cause it to lock up.

What gear is it in when you are trying to turn the engine over? Are you certain that it is locked up? Was it violent when it stopped? I know you mentioned that you pulled the clutch and rolled to the side of the road, but when "it" happened, was it rough? What sounds did it make?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
              thanks will pull the clutch cover then oil was quite dirty even sludgy i'd say but that is expected as it is the first oil in it after sitting for a year, but there was no shaving of any kind. oil had about 400 miles on it and i wanted it to replace today but not under these conditions lol. clutch works by the way gears shift without issues.
              So something in the engine itself, that's good it may be easier to fix. The crank and pistons are not stuck, since they turn a little bit. Something else. Maybe some loose part jammed between primary gears or something. Could be something like a valve broke and fell down in the combustion chamber, now it's jamming a piston. Just guessing wildly, but you will find something like that. Probably it will be obvious when the covers are off.
              It's odd that the oil was sludgy if it had only 400 miles, was the clutch slipping the whole time?

Have fun in there.
              Last edited by tkent02; 10-03-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

as i was riding all lights just went off on me except the side stand which was up, and it started to stop almost like front brake lock up thats when i pulled the clutch and rolled maybe 15 ft and stopped. i didnt hear any sounds that werent normal during operation. when i tried to turn the engine it is in neutral double checked both ways green light and it rolls without clutch.

Comment

i already took valve covers off and nothing obvious there im thinking it has to do something with chain because when it hits the stop it doesnt clank like a valve against piston more like chain stops moving and it has this springy effect <-- dont know how to describe it in any other way.

Comment

Can you turn the rear wheel while it is in gear? Try a high gear, less resistance.

Comment

probably dumb, but have you taken the spark plugs out and looked at them as well? sometimes they give a hint too. hydrolock possibly?

Comment

If the chain is tensioned correctly and moving normally when you turn the crank that 1/4 turn, then it is still in one piece and on the sprockets correctly.

You can pull the clutch cover without draining the oil if you put the bike on the side stand. It will only drip a little oil.

How many miles on this beast? Was it abused or led a sheltered life?

Comment

i try that, but doubt since when it is in neutral starter cant rotate it

Comment

yes sparks all looked the same kind of pinkish redish color and dry

Comment

the story as i know it the PO bought here in NYC about a year ago in with bent forks no airbox, no rectifier, all lights shattered/cracked and since he lost his job didnt really try to restore it, i bought it in late april put straight forks got all new lights front airbox(still looking for second half), rectifier and got it to work, more or less desently did most of the things that you guys recommended using Bass's website. valves were done 100 miles ago. the bike ran just fine with some low spots due to wrong airfilter but none the less ran well. it has 30k on it but could easily be 130k it was last inspected in 2009 so it was a running bike not too long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X