Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

135 hp xr750??

I would say only on Nitro.
    A note. The chain drive conversion has long been the hot ticket for the Yami V-Max. So, really it all depends on how much you want to spend.
    G
    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

yes but generally, except on the mile and then they twingel them, around 105 hp is about all that's usable. Much more than that and you can't hook it up reliably. That's why the current class of 1000cc bike are kind of a joke, fun to watch, and I am a big fan of flat track but they don't go much faster than the old 750 class. Just can't get it on the ground.
      And XR's don't make that much HP for very long. They get real unreliable up there.

Comment

Well that may be true. A 135HP was a number from a factory race bike. Randy, Jay, and Scott, all had the mega dollar factory bikes. I went with Dan and Randy (Goss) over to Randys after work to work on the car one day. (we all work at cars & Concepts together) We get out to Randy's and Dan says hey come here,.. Randy had about 7 old XR750 race bikes in the back garage. I asked him what are you gonna do with all those..? and he said
        "ahh I dont know,.. Scott comes by once in awhile and gets parts he needs. I dont know why he has about 50 of them out back of his place." That was back in about 88. The XR 750 's even the magesium motored ones werent really being looked at as a bike to collect. Randy said they were making a 132- 135 HP. In good tune. Im sure longevity wasnt an issue for them because they were tore down after every race anyway. They all grew up together, out there in Brighton/Fowlerville. I think Jay is the oldest. But between the three of them I think there are over 20 AMA Grand National Championships.

Comment

Most of my info on XR's comes from Babe DeMay who was the guy that was doing the Vision thing.
          Yes, the XR's got tore down after every race and sometimes during the weekend as well. The RS Honda's, on the other hand, where about as maintenence free as a race motor could be. The joke was if it ain't leaking something and it was running right, change the oil and spark plugs, send it to the line.
          But then the AMA ****ed Honda off with the rules changes trying to keep the harley's in the mix and by the time they figured out they did something wrong, and "The Rolling Thunder Show" wasn't the draw it once was, nobody made a 750 twin anymore so they had to make the "Supertracker" class to try and get the other OEM's back racing with their 1000cc motors. So Honda, Yamaha, Ducati and others come back to flattrack racing and all have to detune the motors cause the extra HP doesn't do them any good.
          I have ridden the ice with Scotty once in awhile, or should I say I am on the lake at the same time he is, (and in his way).
          I have seen him show up with an XR set up for the mile with a brand spankin new set of Byron Muloso (sp?) studed up Kenda's. Set up something about the size of the Springfield Mile, pin the throttle until the tires start spiting screws or chunking the knobs, ride it into the trailer and go home.
          If you time it right, you can have him pass you just before the corner and get a real good seat to watch him pitch it in at 130 mph, full lock slide, feet on the pegs, steering with body english. WOW!

Comment

So then I assume you still live in Mi...? and you would be talking about "tip up Town" Lake Huron, or Whitmore lake right there off of 23 and ??? ahh hell an old age brain fart.. nope dont have it. I have learned over the years not to try and find it,.. it just goes deeper into the "I dont have a clue" hole in my head. Years ago, maybe 89 - 91 or 92, I used to take my Briggs open kart up to tip up town. I must brag and say, I didnt reailze how well it worked. untill I got there. It would run a little under 100pmh with thew right gear and conditions. I didnt have to lift through the corners. The only things that could run with me were the real oval race sleds, and some of the guys with the Quadzilla RM500 powered quads. They would run off and leave me at the 1/2 way mark on the straights, but they would have to lift going into the corner. I left it pegged and pitched it. 1 year, it was about 12 below, and with the wind chill about - 38. I ran 3 gallons of aklky out of it, and I never lifted. it took about what seemed like 20 minutes. I remember I was cranking on that tilotson carb high end jet screw for about 4 full turns till it came clean!! When I ran out and coasted to the side. My pipe was hanging by the clamp. It melted right off at the block. the exhaust valve was welded right into the guide. I never knew it cuz all the other noise, and helmet I had on. The first year up I went my helmet and face shield was ruined. The Coldcutter screws comming off of those quadzillas peeled the fiberglass and paint off. I was right level with their tires. The next year I showed up with an aluminum nose cone, I rivited a squeegy to the top. I pre cut about 20 strips 1/4 strip of lexan that I could slide into the grove of the squeegy. They were about 2 inches tall, and acted as a deflector. There were a couple of those quadzillas that would run right with the bad ass sleds. They were scary fast.!! I dont know how they could hang on. I know how hard a good 120mph sled pulls, and you can plant your self in those, you have to hang on with a quad. I miss the ice man that was a lot of fun.. I have ran out on Whitmore lake a bunch, and Kensington too, we may have cussed each other once or twice..LOL..
            Oh yea I was going to say, I saw one of the new Supertrackers as you called them. It was a chrome moly champion frame, set up for a TL1000.!! I dont think the bike was more than 280lbs. As much as I like to go fast. I looked at that thing and was scared.. I have rode good TL's with pipes and some tuning (power comander) they are very very fast. The only V-twin that ever out ran my RC51 was a TL. I could not imagine running one like that at mile track. Like you said you would never get it hook up.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Never been to Houghton, have rode Whitmore a couple of times. Used to ride some little pothole in Ypsi untill they started building houses around it. Have done quite a bit on Cass Lake. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the lake I caught Scotty on but it was up near Flint. I was with Danny Butler and he drove so I don't think I could find it again if I wanted to.

Comment

Working...
              X