smoke coming from engine breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoke coming from engine breather

Hi guys, I have an 82 550L. I am restoring the bike at present and have noticed yet another problem. The bike has sat unused for many years i have sorted out the frame, paintwork electrics etc and have now came to the engine. I have changed the oil and cleaned the carbs etc and the bike fired up almost straight away, the problem is that when the bike heats up there starts to come an oily smoke from the engine breather ( this is usualy piped into the air filter box and may not normaly be noticed but i am using individual filters) this problem is new and seams to have happened as the bike sat up. I would be greatful for any help or ideas you guys can give me thanks.

That oily smoke is called blowby. It's the oil mist that naturally comes out of the crankcase. If you've got bad rings, worn valve guides/seals or worn out bearings it gets worse. If the bike's been sitting for a long time the rings may be stuck and after a while they'll release out of the piston grooves and the blowby will lessen. If you're not blowing clouds of oil smoke out of your exhaust pipes I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Hi,

You could hang a breather filter on the end of your breather hose.

Or you could fasten a receptacle to catch any oil condensation. Don't forget to empty it once in a while.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X