pilot fuel screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot fuel screw

this is probably a dumb question but the pilot fuel screw on the bottom of the vm carbs. u turn it in to lessen the fuel flow right?

That is correct.

As with most screws, IN will lessen whatever it controls, OUT will increase it.

The trick is knowing what the screw controls. In your case, the bottom screw is fuel. Most-common setting for a stock engine will be about 3/4 turn out from lightly seated. The air screw on the side of the carb should start out about double that, then be adjusted for best engine speed when the engine is fully-warmed up.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok. thank u! the only thing it has are different exhaust tips, bu they still have a resonator inside.

Comment

99% of the time these rules apply:
        Any screw on the outside of any carb that is adjustable is as follows.

If it is between the air cleaner and the carb,.It is an air screw More = More
        If it is between the carb and the motor,... It is for fuel. More = More

Comment

i got this bike for 400. it kept fouling out plugs. so i went through the carbs cleaned stuff out. i got the floats set. they were way off! its not fouling plugs but still running way richer than id like. so decided to check the positions of the air and fuel needles. the air is 2 full turns out. and the fuel is 3 turns out. gonna work on it tomorrow and set the air at 1.5 turns out and the fuel at .75 turns out like ive read. gonna see how it goes.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X