Clutch Lever Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Lever Repair

Is it possible to repair a clutch lever with JB Weld and have it still be fully functional? I know I should buy another one from the local parts store but I'm curious if it's possible first.

Essentially, I lowsided tonight to the left after getting into heavy sand/dirt and broke my clutch lever. Everything else looks fine but I'm curious as to the possibilities until I can get a new one.

Thanks.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

its DOA. replace. JB weld is capable for some things. what you need, if you were to repair, would ONLY work if you welded it with an actual welder. the cost of that vs a new lever is kind of self defeating.

I"d just spend the $15 on a new lever.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
      its DOA. replace. JB weld is capable for some things. what you need, if you were to repair, would ONLY work if you welded it with an actual welder. the cost of that vs a new lever is kind of self defeating.

I"d just spend the $15 on a new lever.
      Yes, indeed- I hate shifting and having the lever break off! get a spare brake lever while you're at it- they stow nicely under seat along frame tube.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I put some JB Weld on it last night after posting this question just to see for myself. As of this morning it seems to be holding and I rode in to work. I WILL BUY A NEW ONE this weekend though.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          I put some JB Weld on it last night after posting this question just to see for myself. As of this morning it seems to be holding and I rode in to work. I WILL BUY A NEW ONE this weekend though.
          Be extremely careful, eh? Either that, or be prepared for a crash (no pun intended) course in clutchless riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
            Be extremely careful, eh? Either that, or be prepared for a crash (no pun intended) course in clutchless riding.
            Agreed -- this is a Bad Idea. JB Weld is useful stuff, but this is probably the worst possible application for the material.

JB Weld is more of an adhesive and filler -- despite the name and the outrageous advertising claims on the back of the package, it's not anything at all like a weld nor is it anywhere near as strong as metal.

Hope he lived through the experiment...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

buy a new one. its a no brainer, they are cheap and saves you getting stranded or having to struggle home with no clutch
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yes I survived the ride quite well and the clutch handle is still very securely assembled. However, I bought a new one on Friday evening and will install Sunday afternoon after a little paintball fighting.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                X